Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Last Saturday, I was bitten numerous times by fireants. My

Last Saturday, I was bitten numerous times by fireants. My ankle is very swollen now. It does hurt somewhat and I can walk fairly well. What should I do and how long before it should get better?
THANKS, Linda
Hi Linda and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Your ankle sounds painful! The best thing to do is take something that has anti-inflammatory properties such as Advil or Aleve. Also, keep it propped up as often as you can and also put cool compresses on it several times during the day. Taking something like Benadryl will help as well.

You can probably expect the ankle to be swollen for up to a week.

If you notice that the swelling doesn't go down by the end of a week (total time), you will need to let your dr take a look at it. You may need an antibiotic if the bite(s) have caused infection.

Let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is Benadryl OTC?
It doesn't really hurt that bad but I do have a high tolerance for pain.

THANKS, Linda

Yes, OTC Benadryl is what you need. Probably only 1 tablet at a time. You can take them every 4 hours or per package instructions.

Even if you do have a high pain tolerance, I would go ahead and take the Advil or Aleve for the anti-inflammatory properties. This will help the swelling go down quite a bit.