Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Seeking opinions on treatment of obstructive sleep apnea with

Seeking opinions on treatment of obstructive sleep apnea with a dental appliance. I was recently diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea (24.1 events/hour).

The staff who called me with that diagnosis wished to schedule me to have a C-PAP machine fitting. On further discussion, yes there are other interventions, but none so effective as the machine. If I wish, they will provide me a list of local dentists who can fit me for a dental appliance, but that treatment may not be adequate.

My sixth sense tells me that their C-PAP recommendation is based on the income they would generate from selling a C-PAP to my insurance company. Care to weigh in on the matter?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I would consider 24 events in one hour significant enough to have a CPAP fitting/titration. Sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure, even heart failure and can lead to things like diabetes over time. The dental appliance might or might not work...but I agree, not nearly as well as the machine. Many machines now will auto-detect while you are having an episode and auto-tritrate while you are needing more or less pressure/oxygen. So, ultimately the decision is up to you on what you truly want to do but I will have to agree that with 24 events in one hour would be enough to warrant the need for the CPAP machine usage. Reply back if more info is needed or if want to discuss it further...