Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Hello, Ive been having a strange, tightening feeling in

I've been having a strange, tightening feeling in the upper portion of my chest/heart area for about a month now. The pain comes and goes, and some days are worse than others. The first day it was so strange and made me very uncomfortable that I went to the ER. I had an EKG and X-Ray and the doctor said I looked fine, and said it is probably just stress.

I went back a week later for a follow-up appointment because I still was feeling strange, though the pain was much better. Another doctor looked at my history and said that my EKG came back textbook perfect and thought it is just minor arrhythmia.

This morning on my way to work I noticed a very strange sensation in my neck, close to my left jugular. It felt almost like I was being strangled. The pain subsided after a few hours, but then about six hours later came back. My left hand is also a little numb.

I guess I am just a bit nervous that I have an undiagnosed cardiovascular issue. My family has a history of heart disease and cardiovascular issues, and I had an uncle die in his mid 30s due to undiagnosed cardiomyopathy.

Regarding my overall health, I am a 35 year old male and had a full physical less than a year ago came back fine. I am lean but my blood pressure is slightly high. I am very active. I run between 40 - 60km per week, participate in trail races and marathons every few months, and regularly cycle 150 - 200km in the mountains. I exercise vigorously 4-6 days per week. The doctors I saw said that I would not be able to exercise like I do if I had any cardiovascular problems, but that seems strange to be because I've read of athletes who have succumbed to undiagnosed cardiovascular issues.

Would you recommend I get this looked into further, or could it just be stress/overreacting to something normal?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

Do you feel any symptom during exercise?

Customer:

Hello, no, I actually feel fine when I exercise.

Dr. Saha :

How is your blood pressure numbers?

Customer:

I don't remember exactly...last time it was 127/78, but it was 134/90 a few months ago.

Dr. Saha :

Do you take any medicine?

Customer:

No, I'm not on any medications.

Dr. Saha :

Did you have any other test besides EKG?

Customer:

Just an X-Ray and a CT Scan, both came back normal.

Dr. Saha :

How was cholesterol levels?

Customer:

One of my levels is on the high side. The doctor said I am fine now, but I should watch out. I don't remember exactly what level that was, though.

Dr. Saha :

Similar symptoms can occur in heart diseases like angina but when you can exercise & have normal EKGs, CT, it is unlikely to be related to heart.

Dr. Saha :

Anxiety, stress can be factors.

Dr. Saha :

Still I would suggest to have a consultation with a cardiologist.

Dr. Saha :

He can take tests like Holter monitor, stress echo etc.

Dr. Saha :

Holter monitor can record EKG when you have the symptoms.

Customer:

Okay. I live in Japan and Japanese doctors are very conservative when it comes to ordering more testing, etc.

Dr. Saha :

Have you consulted any cardiologist there?

Customer:

Yes, I saw one on my follow up appointment. He said that I can't have any heart issues if I do this level of exercise and my EKG/XRay/CT looks okay.

Customer:

He said I could try a holter monitor, but didn't think I needed it. So you would say this is also probably not heart related?

Customer:

Would something like cardiomyopathy come up on an EKG/X-Ray?

Dr. Saha :

When you have been checked by a cardiologist, you should not worry.

Dr. Saha :

There can be some sign on EKG, echo is better for diagnosing cardiomyopathy than EKG. However, you had CT, which would also show changes.

Dr. Saha :

IMy goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

Dr. Saha :

Your CT was normal.

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your assistance! Hopefully this will not be serious, but if it continues I will go for an echo test.

Dr. Saha :

In my opinion, it is not serious. You should not worry.

Customer:

That's good to hear! All the best to you!! :)

Dr. Saha :
You are always welcome.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience