Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Please give me a detailed description and reason as to how

Please give me a detailed description and reason as to how acai berries could be good for my family's health. I am thinking of buying some but there are so many scams out there I wanted to know the facts about it first. Please provide a detailed answer.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question, acai berries are south america fruits , also it has been promoted like a super food that helps to combat many diseases like cancer , arthritis or erectile dysfunction among others . There have not been enough studies to demonstrate that scientific fact .

Yes , I could tell you they are a good source of fiber ,vitamins and antioxidants like others fruits and vegetables in the market including berries, cherries , oranges, tomatoes ,spinach, broccoli, and green vegetables .

All these products have many advantages ,they give you a lot of antioxidants reducing the risk of getting cancer , fiber so important for your digestive tract proper function avoiding constipation and lower cholesterol .

In conclusion , acai berries are a healthy food source but it is not a super food like many people said .

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is not true, there are a lot of studies that back up the claims, this is one of them http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf060976g

Are you claiming no studies exist that attest to the phytochemical and nutrient/antioxidant value of the acai fruit?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

I am not telling there are not any studies at all that support acai berries are rich in nutrients /antioxidants with positive properties like lowering your cholesterol levels ,preventing constipation and decreasing your risk of getting certain diseases like cancer .

This study you sent me basically explained the different nutrients acai berry has ,it does not tell you acai berry is a super food ,my main point in my previous answer.

What I was telling you is that acai berries are not the only food source with antioxidants ,vitamins and rich in nutrients that you can get or eat . You could buy acai berries as other complement in your diet because they are a healthy food source without doubt , but eating different fruits and vegetables is even more healthier than eating only one fruit .

Until now , there has not been found a specific food that gives everything your body needs .

Here are other articles if you want more information:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/124565.php

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acai

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you please open this up to other experts, thanks

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes , that is Ok . I will opt out so other experts can give you their opinion.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
There is a lot of information and misinformation out there about acai. Acai has been shown in studies to lower cholesterol as well as lower blood sugar levels in borderline diabetic individuals. The studies completed so far indicate that with daily consumption acai lowers cholesterol by 8-10%. Acai has also shown promise in maintaining a healthy heart in overseas scientific studies. Since acai is a natural source of antioxidants, carotenoids, and phytonutrients (anthocyanins) it is also recognized for increasing mental function. Given that the acai berry is so high in these antioxidants and that is the main reason for the positive health properties you should review this link on antioxidants: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/how-do-antioxidants-benefit-me.html

There is still much more to learn about acai and many more studies will be required but of those completed so far most show this is one amazing berry with lots of positive health effects.

Acai is normally taken as 500mg once a day in the morning although some say 1000mg in the morning. I will give you this bit of personal information as well... This is not a scientific study but my own personal experience with acai. I was experiencing high cholesterol and started to take acai 500mg/day. After 3 weeks my level was back in the normal range and I made no other changes to my diet or activity. As I said this is not a scientific study just my personal experience with acai.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.