Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Can clairol hair color create a false positive reading in an

Can clairol hair color create a false positive reading in an auto breathylizer test?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Can you tell me in what context you are speaking of the Clairol and how was it used? Do you mean you colored your hair and then soon after was pulled over and was given a breath test and it was positive for alcohol? Please explain....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, The breathylizer is necessary to start car and also asks for random sample breaths when driving. Does the alcohol in Clairol hair coloring penetrate your scalp and stay in your body for days, weeks, or hours and can it effect a breathylizer test. I have had false positives and want to know the source (like they say mouthwash can trigger a false positive).

No, the hair color would not affect the breathalyzer test and cause a false positive. Other things like diabetes, and inhalers for asthma and also a low carb diet can cause a false positive. Eating bread (those with yeast) have also been shown to cause a false positive.

Let me know if I can elaborate further.