How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Fernando Your Own Question
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425
Type Your Health Question Here...
Robert Fernando is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I might have drank fake blood. I was helping a friend

This answer was rated:

I think I might have drank fake blood. I was helping a friend make a small movie for his film class. I was supposed to get shot and cough blood in the movie; therefore I put some fake blood in my mouth to make it realistic...I agreed to it and put a small amount of blood in my mouth, but I'm afraid I have swolled a bit...I wash my mouth right away with water...Should I go to the ER? could I get poisoned? Could I get a digestive or other cancer?

Here are the ingredients of the fake blood:
Water, Imidazolini Urea,Triethanilamine, Propylene, Glycol, Methylparaben, Red #40 (CI 16035, Blue # XXXXX CI 42090
Hello,
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long back this happened?
Do you have pain in swallowing?
Do you have any associated symptoms?
Have you in past also drank such fake blood?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

aboutt about 15 minutes ago; no pain associated or pain swolling, never drank fake blood

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort and understand your fear.

The ingredient Triethanolamine, when swallowed may cause burns in the mouth, pharynx, and esophagus, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Methylparaben is used as preservative and acts as an antimicrobial agent. This is practically non-toxic by both oral route.

Propylene glycol when ingested may cause seizure or tremors.
But usually very small amount of chemical would not cause any serious reaction.
Usually little swallowing of such chemical may be tolerated by body and you would not get serious issue like cancer.

You need to get clinical examination and accurate management by doctor in ER.
I advise that you should not delay and rush to ER ASAP for prompt treatment. You should get it managed ASAP.
Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.






Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to the ER, made wait so much, I waited 4 hours; so i left...I asked them and they said they get in people depending on the severity of the emergency, I guess mine wasnt that severe...althought, they checked my blood pressure, and weigh...I think I didn't swallow anything and I have washed my mouth so many time...had I swallowed, I would have been in a lot of pain?


I havent swallowed my own saliva, and it keepsbuild idling up in my mouth I have to spit a lot...so far no symptoms, just feel thirsty...I'm gonna see my primary today in the morning

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing follow up additional information.

It sounds good that you have already visited ER, and they have checked your blood pressure. I am sorry that you have to keep waiting in ER for long hours.
Some of the serious symptoms with such poisoning are-

Burning pain in the mouth, pharynx, and esophagus, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, breathing discomfort, chest pain.
As you have not experienced any such symptoms, so you are pretty safe.
You should not take stress for any type of cancer or other serious issue.
Feeling thirsty can be normal. I would not panic for any serious issue.
You are absolutely safe.
You should drink plenty of fluids and take rest.
Yes, you should see your doctor by tomorrow.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.




Robert Fernando and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert