Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

ok , 4 weeks ago i had prtected anal sex and the condom was

ok , 4 weeks ago i had prtected anal sex and the condom was intact after i checked , but here the thing a week ago i had zits on my face that my dermotologist said they were dued to allergy ( they are not there anymore ) , but now since 3 days i have a lot of fatigue and i also had diharea twice  ( which also started to dissipate since today) but i noticed yesterday that one of my lymph node behind my neck was very swollen ... I am always very carefull with sex but those symptoms sound like hiv ? please help me i am now travelling in poor country with little infractsure what can i do ?

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have any other known medical illness?

Any recent fever?

Have you recently taken any antibiotics?

Is the lymph node painful?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have the brugada syndrom and epilepsy but that since very young age ...

I didnt have fever per say just a feeling of extreme fatigue ... i felt weak and as if i had fever but i checked my temparture often and it was normal .

I also forgot to mention that the dermatologist gave me a medication that might have cause the diahrea . ( zyllergi)

the lymph isnt painful at all ...

waiting for your answer

Dear Jonathan

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described does not indicate of HIV infection.These symptoms are most likely because of side effect of your medication-zyllergi.

Once infected with HIV, a person may or may not experience any symptoms.

Symptoms related to HIV are usually due to an infection in part of the body.The symptoms include include fever that lasts from a few days to longer than a month with no other disease present and no other obvious cause, prolonged periods of chills and sweats, and chronic or long-lasting fatigue for which other causes have been ruled out.

Other symptoms are:Lack of energy,weight loss,frequent fevers and
sweats,Diarrhea,Unexplained weight loss,Oral thrush,Recurring yeast infections.
These are the most common symptoms of HIV positive individual.

As you have described that you have taken zyllergi medication,diarrhea & extreme fatigue/tiredness are both side effect of this medication & gets cured after few days of stopping the medication.

The enlarged lymph node you are having can be due to infection/allergy on face which has caused zits on your face.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that most probably your symptoms are because of side effect of zyllergi medication & not because of HIV infection .Also your symptoms does not seem to be due to HIV infection,but still you need to get it tested for HIV & other STD to be 100% sure & keep your mind at ease.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Hi Jonathan

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you lymph node subsided?
Have you undergone HIV test to rule out it ?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello doctor ,

I have been tested for several things since last time we spoke , HIV came back negative but it's only 5 weeks old so i i have to wait another one to get a sure answer . Nonetheless the tes also came with the revelation that i got infected by mononucleosis which might explain how i feel and even though the test also said that it was largely healed it might explained why i still have a lymph node.
what do you think ?

Dear customer,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

The symptoms of mono are almost identical to the symptoms of primary HIV infection. Actually, studies have found there is cross reactivity between the HIV test and the mononucleosis test, and it appears that it has to do with the viral load of both HIV and mononucleosis.

Studies have also found out that mononucleosis can make a false positive on HIV tests.

The enlarged lymph node you are having can be due to mononucleosis.

Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection. Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result, because at this time you may not have developed antibodies to HIV.So it is best to wait for at least 3 months to have the HIV test.

So I advice you to have another HIV test after 12 weeks.

Hope this helped

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles