Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Are boils common in a Parkinsons patient. If they are not

Are boils common in a Parkinson's patient. If they are not bedridden, just wheelchair bound, are the same precautions necessary as though the patient was bedridden?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer. How long the symptom is there? Any test or treatment taken? Is there any previous disease? Thank you.

Dr. Saha :

Is there any history of diabetes?

Dr. Saha :

Are you asking for other person?

Dr. Saha :
You may be having difficulty in entering chat. I am changing to question & answer format.

Dr. Saha :
There is no increased prevalence of boils in Parkinson's patient.

Dr. Saha :

The incidence is same as normal population.
Dr. Saha :

Care of boils is also same as other people with boils.
Dr. Saha :
In diabetes, old age the healing can be delayed.
Dr. Saha :

Extra care should be given at this age.

Dr. Saha :
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know.
Dr. Saha :

If you are satisfied, please choose 4 / 5 rating / smiley ace/Excellent/ACCEPT to compensate for my work and time. Please click on REPLY TO EXPERT, if you have further questions.

YOUR SATISFACTION IS THE AIM OF OUR WEBSITE.

Best Wishes.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay... No diabetes, this is my Mother... within the last two wks boils have appeared (two) to my knowledge

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kathleen,

Did doctor see the boils?

How large are they?

Are they pus filled?

Did you try any medicine or did doctor prescribe any medicine for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

small in size (maybe 1inch), one was under the armpit, cleared... now one is on her right buttock just got there possibly fri... no pus at the time just red and sore, makes sitting painful. Although wheelchair bound how much moving should she be receiving (therapy) I just had them change the cushion in the wheelchair much softer with what feels like egg size bubbles

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Buttock boil can be deep seated and can increase in size.

If the boil increases in size, drainage can be required.

She should move the buttock as much as possible to prevent pressure on it.

Application of warm towel can be soothing.

I would advise to take her to doctor for an evaluation.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The sore on the buttocks was determined to be a bedsore, are these the same as boils?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.

Thank you for the follow up.

Bed sores are not boils.

They arise from prolonged pressure.

This can occur in buttock areas.

The aim in treatment is to avoid pressure on the areas for long.

Sometimes those can be infected as well.

Early start of treatment & care of the sore are important.

I am attaching this link for more reading on it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/pressuresores.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far this is what has been revealed what was said to be a boil is a bedsore (how is mrsa contracted from something like this?) Can My mother's children get mrsa by being in the room with her?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
MRSA can be spread from contact with infected part.

It is more common in hospital or health care settings, though can occur in community.

Proper care of the sore is essential.

It needs to be kept covered so that the secretions does not come in contact.

Towels, sheets or other personal items should not be shared.

Frequent hand washing with soap & hand sanitizer should be done..