Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Hi I have been with my husband for like 10 yrs now & before

Hi I have been with my husband for like 10 yrs now & before him i had unprotected sex with an ex boyfriend of mine, I have gotten like 2 or 3 hiv test within the past 10 yrs they have all come out negative thank god, But my question is Can i still test positive?

Age 34, Caifornia
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

When did you have last test?

Customer:

last yr cant relly remember but i kind of remember like in may of 2012

Dr. Saha :

When you did not have any exposure to HIV in last 10 years, it should not come positive.

Dr. Saha :

Usually in 97% of cases it will be positive by 3 months after exposure.

Customer:

no i have not had any exposure to hiv i have been with my husband for the past 10 yrs and only with him

Dr. Saha :

So you need not to be worried.

Dr. Saha :

You are not at risk.

Customer:

but i also have another question Im embarrassed to say this but i also have herpes and me and my husband take care of ourselvs with that part of our lives can it be i may have hiv also

Customer:

because of the herpes

Dr. Saha :

No, herpes & hiv are different viruses. Though a sore in the genital can increase the risk but as you are not exposed to HIV virus, the risk should not come.

Customer:

Another question do herpes and hiv have similar symptoms or different symptoms

Dr. Saha :

Did you have herpes eruptions?

Customer:

when?

Dr. Saha :

Did you have any symptom from herpes like vesicles?

Customer:

what is vesicles?

Dr. Saha :

Herpes causes painful vesicles or rash. Vesicles are blister like as you see following a burn.

Dr. Saha :

The HIV symptoms are different. It depends on the stages.

Customer:

i have but only like 2 times since i tested positive for herpes butthey were not bad

Dr. Saha :

Yes, herpes may not cause any symptom too.

Dr. Saha :

Many did not know that they have herpes without test.

Dr. Saha :

As you do not have any exposure, there is no reason to worry about HIV.

Dr. Saha :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer:

i have noticed that when im going to begin my period i feel like a tingeling sensation and i usualy tell my husband that we should not do anything because i have read that my period can cause a flareup

Dr. Saha :

Tingling can be a symptom with herpes but it can come from other cause too.

Customer:

Another question i have been trying to explain to my husband that having oral sex is not a good idea since i have herpes and to be honest i didnt find out i had herpes till like 3 yrs ago so we did have unprotected sex me and husband so i say no oral sex well me to him because i dont let him do that to me so am i right not to have oral sex

Dr. Saha :

In some cases genital herpes can cause eruptions in mouth area.

Customer:

Because i know that he might be infected too so i know having oral sex can put me at risk on having an ifection in my mouth right

Dr. Saha :

It can affect mouth area.

Dr. Saha :

If you have any follow up question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

The reason i decided on asking my question is because i have been going through a really tough time these past few weeks by thinking about hiv because i hope its because im really paranoid that i have been hearing that word everywhere and it started scaring me since i do have herpes and i know it is much easier for me to get hiv if i have herpes but i know i have been in a one on one realtionship for 10 yrs and i wanted to know if i was still at risk to test positive if it had been a while since i have had sex with my ex

Dr. Saha :

As you are in one to one relationship for last 10 years, you should not be scared.

Customer:

I know that anal sex is bad too right because my husband has been trying to convince me to have anal sex but im scared what do u suggest sorry im being so out there but i have alot of things in my mind

Dr. Saha :

As i mentioned before, in 3 months 97 % of cases will come positive.

Dr. Saha :

In anal sex, you need to have good lubrication. Otherwise there can be risk of injury.

Dr. Saha :

You can reference this link for additional information on this topic.

Dr. Saha :

http://www.webmd.com/sex/anal-sex-health-concerns

Dr. Saha :

You can discuss with your husband about the issues noted in the link.

Customer:

ok i know i have never had anal sex before but when i was fisrt diagnosed witht he herpes virus i know i told my dr that i had something in my anal section & he saw and he told me he thought it was herpes so how could it of gotten back there since i have never had anal sex so now im scared that if i have anal sex and if i do have herpes in my anal part they can flareup and cause a big problem

Dr. Saha :

Physical, emotional stress, injury etc can flare up herpes. if you had herpes there, I would suggest to avoid anal sex.

Dr. Saha :

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

Customer:

Ok Thank you for all of your help it has helped to put me at ease because i have not been sleeping well since i have been with the hiv situtaion in my head for wks now Thanks...

Customer:

Ok so if i want to get in contact with you again how can i do that?

Customer:

Another question im not taking any mediction for my herpes is that wrong should i go to my dr and ask for medication

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome. You can open question requesting my name.

Dr. Saha :

If you do not have eruptions or rash from herpes, it is not necessary.

Customer:

so to what webpage should i go to?

Dr. Saha :

You need to ask question in the health category of just answer, as you did now.

Dr. Saha :

Just add for Dr Saha before the question.

Dr. Saha :
If you are satisfied with the answer, please leave an excellent rating.
Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Customer:

Thank you so much i really appreciate all your help Thank you so much

Dr. Saha :
It’s been a pleasure working with you.

Good luck.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience