Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I was cleaning my ear with a q-tip and felt a pop. I had a

I was cleaning my ear with a q-tip and felt a pop. I had a little blood on it. I went to see the doctor,who said the eardrum was ok,and it is an infection,but I have a clear,sticky liquid dripping out of th ear. any ideas or suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

When did it occur?

Customer:

Monday morning.

Dr. Saha :

When did you go to see the doctor?

Customer:

I went yesterday to see the doctor. She looked in the ear,said the eardrum looked good,said is was a middle ear infection,but I'm worried about all this clear fluid.

Dr. Saha :

When did you notice the liquid? Is there any pain? smell?

Customer:

Noticed it Thursday evening. no pain or smell to it. Just clear liquid coming out

Dr. Saha :

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

Customer:

She gave me Bactrim for 5 days,and some flonase for my nose

Dr. Saha :

The clear liquid discharge can be serum.

Dr. Saha :

This can come after clotting of blood.

Dr. Saha :

It can come from infection or inflammation.

Dr. Saha :

As the doctor has examined the ear & could not find any tear in drum, it is good.

Dr. Saha :

Antibiotic would take care of the infection.

Dr. Saha :

Please continue it.

Customer:

IIs there any possibility this could be brain-spinal fluid? How long does this condition usually last?

Dr. Saha :

It is not cerebrospinal fluid.

Dr. Saha :

Cerebrospinal fluid will come if there is a fracture of the base of skull.

Dr. Saha :

You would notice improvement in 2-3 days after starting antibiotic.

Dr. Saha :

Full recovery may take 1 week or a little more.

Customer:

My ear wont pop to let any more of the fluid out,is that normal for this condition?

Dr. Saha :

Yes, it is normal.

Dr. Saha :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer:

If the eardrum did have a minute perforation,when I pinch my nose ,and close my mouth and blow,I should feel air coming out,correct?

Dr. Saha :

You may feel it. It depends on the hole, eustachean tube function etc.

Customer:

Would a small perforation cause this clear fluid to come out?

Customer:

And will it heal on it's own?

Dr. Saha :

A small perforation usually heals on its own.

Customer:

should I keep cotton in the ear to absorb the fluid,or just let it drain?

Dr. Saha :

It is not necessary to keep cotton inside. You can wipe it.

Customer:

There is quite a bit coming out,and it is a small nuisance,wouls a cotton ball create any further problems?

Dr. Saha :

Then you can keep it but please change it frequently.

Dr. Saha :

You can take an antihistamine like zyrtec.

Customer:

Wll do.What do you think the q-tip did? she had said something about the attic in the ear drum was inflammed?

Dr. Saha :

The tip has caused a trauma in that part of the ear drum. There can be simple trauma without perforation.

Customer:

Ok, I am just so worried,Doctor,thats why I am chatting with you here. any further suggestions to help in recovery?

Dr. Saha :

Please do not get worried. The treatment is ok. Please do not allow water to enter ear during taking bath.

Dr. Saha :

If you have any follow up question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

I will cover the ear when bathing.Thank you ,doctor,for putting my mind at ease. I had read on a couple of medical sites,that it could be cerebrospinal fluid,and got really scared.

Dr. Saha :

In internet you can read many scary stories. As you understand, Q tip would not cause fracture of bone of skull base.

Dr. Saha :

Cerebrospinal fluid & brain are protected by bones of the skull.

Customer:

You have eased my fears doctor! Thank you so very much!!!I will recommend you to all my friends!

Dr. Saha :
You are always welcome.
Dr. Saha :
If you are satisfied with the answer, please leave an excellent rating.
Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience