Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

My mom had back pain a couple days ago and she was home resting

My mom had back pain a couple days ago and she was home resting from her tennis league. She plays in an older league, she is 73. Yesterday the pain got so bad she went to the ER and they diagnosed shingles and a potential urinary tract infection. She went home, but again, the pain was so bad that she had to go back. This time they did an ultra sound and blood work, as well as other testing, and diagnosed a kidney infection. They gave her anti-nausia medicine and morphine and Vicodin for the pain. My mother has diabetes and takes various medicines like blood thinner. They also gave her very strong, intravenous anti-biotics. She will go home again in about 30 minutes and follow up with her regular doctor on Monday ( its saturday night here)

I was wondering how serious all of this is, and is any of it dangerous to those around here? Catchy? They mentioned that she might be admitted, by my mom chose not too. She is more comfortable at home and lives very close to the hospital. Im nervous about all this, and wonder if that is a bad decision with all the medicines she will take. Is any of this serious and what could happen? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Chris
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can can address your concern appropriately.

Does she now have pain? If yes, is it severe in nature?
Vomiting or fever?
On which part of body has shingles affected?
Does she has burning urination?
Is she accepting fluids?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she has pain that comes and goes and can be very very strong, she says an 8 or 10 on the pain scale of 1-10. The morphine helped but it may not last. She has vicodin that she will take home, but she has not taken it yet. She feels like she could throw up at any time, but has not yet thrown up. She is able to drink fluids and ate some soup and food today. She does have pain when urinating and the no longer think she has shingles, I guess that was a misdiagnosis yesterday.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Chris, Thanks for all these additional details. I am sorry to hear about your mother's problems.

Usually the symptoms of kidney infection develop quite quickly over a few hours or days.
Kidney infections require prompt treatment with antibiotics to help relieve symptoms and prevent complications developing.
It is good to hear that she has been given intravenous antibiotics, with anti-nausea medication.

At home, she may need to prescribed a course of antibiotic tablets or capsules that lasts for 7-14 days.
She should continue with painkiller Vicodin, this would relieve severe pain.
She can continue with light meals especially liquid diet.

As she has been diagnosed, with kidney infection so right management should be taken. The line of treatment is- Antibiotics, Painkillers.
A high fluid intake is essential. She should drink cranberry juice.
Make sure, that she take medications from time to time.

As pain is severe in nature, so ideally she should be rested in hospital, however considering your situation if her symptoms are controlled with medications, then she can be taken to home. If her condition,doesn't improve or get worsened, then please taker her to ER ASAP.

Otherwise, you can should take to her primary doctor on Monday.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So after everything I have described, what level of seriousness would you rate her condition? Can you die from this? Can it get fatal quickly and without warning? How common is it? Is that level of pain normal?

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Chris, As she have been given antibiotics at right time, so her symptoms would start to resolve in next 24-48 hours. As such she can't die from this condition. As she has already started medications at right time, so her symptoms would not get fatal.
Some of the serious symptoms associated with kidney infection are-

-High grade Fever
-Continuous blood in urine
-Continuous vomiting

If she gets any of these symptoms, then she should be taken to ER ASAP.
With antibiotics and painkiller such symptoms would start to get resolve in 1-2 days. Yes, usually pain is severe with kidney infection patients.
She should continue with Vicodin and antibiotics as prescribed by her doctor and can wait till Monday.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years