Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Currently Taking Remeron for depression and it has been working

Currently Taking Remeron for depression and it has been working great. The only issue is I have gained much fat over my stomach area. I was reading that Remeron increases your leptin levels and was wondering if there was anything I could do or take to lower my leptin levels.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , there are some natural things you could do to lower your leptin levels like eating fish specially salmon or tuna, you could also get fish capsules and eating whole grain bread or pasta .

On the other side , a great disadvantage of antidepressants is that most of them could produce weight gain , that is the reason when you are taking antidepressants you need to be really careful with your diet reducing the consumption of sugar and fat or fried foods .

Exercise is vital specially aerobic exercise like walking ,jogging or running at least 3 times per week .

Other factor that increases your leptin levels is stress , doing yoga , practicing meditation or relaxing activities like listening soft music could help .

If this does not work and you continue gaining weight , your doctor will need to switch to other medication or decrease your current Remeron dose .

There are some antidepressants that have a lower tendency to produce weight gain like Venlafaxine , Serzone , Cymbalta in some patients or Buproprion . They could be other option if the weight gain persists .

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info. I have been working out and getting exercise about 4 times a week. My diet consists of High protein, low carbs, and low fat. I will add in fish oil to my daily intake and hopefully be able to lower my body fat percent as im currently sitting at 14.5% and would like to get it to about 11%. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome ,it was a pleasure to help you.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD