Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Hello, I have COPD, costochondritis, and last week my x-ray

Hello, I have COPD, costochondritis, and last week my x-ray showed I have hyperinflation of my lungs , can this be fixed

What are your current symptoms?

Since how long are you suffering from COPD?

History of chronic smoking?

Are you taking any medicines now?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is pain in my lungs if I do to much, and tender spots on the lung area, have had COPD for 7 years now ( bronchitis and asthma) yes I smoke but am trying very hard to quit, I use Symbicort , Albuterol, Xanax for anxiety, omeprazole, and was just put on a z-pack for sinus infection, and also take Gabapentin for nerve damage

Thanks for providing more information.

Hyperinflated lungs means that it is filled with more air than usual. This is a common finding in someone with COPD that includes emphysema.

The lung is an elastic tissue and when the hyperinflation occurs,this elasticity is compromised.

As you are having chest pain so a chest x-ray is not the best test to guide treatment of COPD or as a predictor of prognosis.

The best test would be spirometry, also referred to as pulmonary function tests, particularly a series of tests over time to see how the disease is progressing.

Of course, ongoing damage to the lungs, such as from continued smoking, would also have a significant impact on the disease.

And if your lung function is abnormal alongwith hyperinflation of lungs then you may require a prompt management by a pulmonologist.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I go to see my pulm. on April 9 , I just did a spyromtry test in Jan. and it was fine, I called my Pulm. and he said it could have been due to stress or over activity not to worry, but I am.

Thanks for the follow-up.

It's good that your spirometry was fine so possibly such hyperinflation might well be due to chronic sighing and hyperventilation, both of which are part of a faulty breathing habit associated with you guessed it anxiety.

So you should consider repeat chest X-ray on your next visit to see if there is any change.

However you need to limit your smoking intake as much as possible as hyperinflated lungs is a sign of COPD as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.