Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Hello, I have got a cdt blood test in 6 days, along with Liver

Hello, I have got a cdt blood test in 6 days, along with Liver function test and mcv. I would of been abstinent for 14 days by then. Prior to that I had drunk a couple of glasses daily, with two big nights out involving probably two bottles of wine on each occasion. This would of been in the two weeks leading up to the test. What are my chances of passing. I know my mcv was 94.9 two weeks ago
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Alcohol can be detected in urine upto 3 to 4 day urine tests .

So if you did not drink wine in the last 2 weeks, you are likely to pass the test.

The urine test for detection of alcohol in urine is known as ETG and is highly specific.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not what I asked?

I asked about CTD not etg. Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin.

I would also expect a more thorough answer than what you have given me from a qualified dr. Particularly as I have paid for it

Thank you for your question:

How much alcohol were you drinking before you quit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you read my question, it tells you. Could I of found out this information by research on the internet rather than paying?

Yes - I see that you were drinking "a couple of glasses daily" and you mentioned a couple of "nights out" - I was trying to get some additional information of the timing of those "couple of nights out" in regards XXXXX XXXXX timing of the test.

I will be happy to continue working with you, but if you would rather do your own internet research, that is of course your other option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I understand. Sorry a little despondent after asking advice about cdt and then getting information about etg from dr bora

The nights out were the on the 9th march - 19 days before test and 1st of March - 26 days before test. So basically within the month.

Thank you for the additional information

I'm sure that you understand that there is no way to determine with 100% accuracy if someone is going to have a positive test before the test is done.

However, based on the history that you have provided and the somewhat limited research on this test I believe that you have a good chance of passing the test at this time.

CDT is not 100% sensitive for detection of alcohol use. Depending on the specific studies, the sensitivity is generally only about 70% in alcohol dependent patients being admitted for detox. MCV is in the 40% range in this study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20002024

CDT has a detection period of about 2-3 weeks, however the amount needed to get a positive test is estimated at more than the amount you reported on a daily basis. The fact that you did have a few "binges", you might be borderline.

Here is an excellent resource on the various biomarkers for alcohol use including CDT, MCV and others such as PEth, and EtG.
http://kap.samhsa.gov/products/manuals/advisory/pdfs/Advisory_Biomarkers_Revision.pdf

Overall - I believe you have a good chance of a negative test at this point. Good luck.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And the liklihood of the liver function test based on the above drinking history?

This level of alcohol use would likely NOT cause an abnormal test, however there are other factors that might increase the likelihood of a abnormal test including heavy use of paracetamol and some other medications (such as medications for cholesterol or seizures), infection such as hepatitis or mononucleosis.

Overall - I believe you have a reasonably good chance of a negative test (for all of these particular tests).