Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I have a unhealed little spot at one end of the incision from

I have a unhealed little spot at one end of the incision from a surgical removal of a basal cell carcinoma next to my nostril three weeks ago. Stitches came out after one week, afterXXXXXsaw it & said it would heal "from the inside out", per their instructions I've been washing with gentle soap 2x/day followed by application of bactroban rx ointment & dressing. It continues to leak a little blood & fluid. It's a Mohs surgery where they took out a football-shaped sliver of skin & undermined the skin on either side, about 1" long, maybe 1/4" undermined on each side. There is a more or less circular area about 1/4" in diameter which is whiter than the skin around it, and in the center is a soft projection about 2 mm in diameter and sticking out about 1 mm which is bright red and bleeds. I saw the NP at dr's office today & she poked at it & said it didn't appear to be a stitch, the part that sticks out is skin, and that there might be a little infection in there, and I'm to apply warm compresses to it 2x/day, followed by bactroban ointment & bandaid, and come back in one week. Does this make sense?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

It is likely that the bright spot which is sticking out and which bleeds is not skin but granulation tissue. This is a type of tissue which grows after a surgery , either as a response to an infection or due to overgrowth of tissue during the process of healing. It can also grow around a stitch. Granulation tissue is fragile and bleeds easily.

The NP is right in asking you to apply a warm compress and antibiotic ointment for 1 week. This can cause the granulation tissue to heal on its own. If not, a stitch will need to be searched for. If there is no stitch, the tissue may need to be cauterized.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.