Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Can a schizophrenic that never has been treated wit medications

Can a schizophrenic that never has been treated wit medications go into remission of their pychosis for awhile and then have it come back, say in 6 months or a year. Please provide case or article reference to support your answer if at all possible.
Hello

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer.

With the illness of Schizophrenia a person can indeed go into remission of psychosis without medication and then have it come back. This is in fact the usual case. This is how the illness works, and although I will look for documentation (this information would be in any psychiatric textbook.) Typically though, when not treated, Schizophrenia progresses over time, gradually becoming worse and worse (if the true diagnosis is Schizophrenia) and there is no treatment. . (There are other mental illnesses where psychosis can occur (certain forms of severe depression; Bipolar disorder; drug induced psychosis, etc.) that does not necessarily progress in the same manner. A skilled clinician would be able to provide a probable course with detailed information upon assessing the individual in question)

Here is a reference for you that explains the course of Schizophrenia (information on other Mental Illnesses is provided and thorough at this website as well):

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=schizophrenia9

Please reply if you have further questions about this. I am here to assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Please do rate me positively once you have had your question answered to your satisfaction, that is the only way I get paid for my time and knowledge.

Thank you. I will stand by in case you have further questions.
Please let me know if you need any further details.