Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

I am a 59 yr. old male, have diabetes 2, Im controlling my

I am a 59 yr. old male, have diabetes 2, I'm controlling my weight and blood pressure (was 320, came down to 239, I continue, in progress). Its difficult, my sugar comes and goes in spikes. I'm controlling it most days; My presistent problem are my feet. not getting out to jug as I was and lower back problems L4 and L5 - damaged annulus.
I have 'continuous cramps in both feet. I took a vitamin B-6 (B-7)? and a banana daily, it seems to be getting better. Please can you suggest equivalent without prescription to take the pain off. I have no infammation on both at this time. Can you specify what vitamin I could take. Thank you, Gorki

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can you chat with me?

Dr. R. Bora :

Please enter the chat to reply.

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you tried vitamin B12 also for the leg cramps?

Hello, you seem to be offline. This question was locked by another expert and left unanswered, so you went offline perhaps.

You can try vitamin B12 which has been found to be effective for nerves damaged by "diabetic neuropathy".

You can take shots of vitamin B12 initially under the guidance of your GP .

However, vitamin B12 cannot reduce the pain of leg cramps, you will have to take a prescription medicine like neurontin (gabapentin). This drug is currently used for treating nerve related pain including diabetic neuropathy.

You should also undergo nerve conduction studies (NCV) to estimate the extent of nerve damage due to diabetes.

An ultrasound of the leg arteries and veins will help your physician to know if there are additional causes for the leg cramps like a "blood clot in the vein" (DVT) which could be associated with diabetes.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Thanks for the accept and the bonus.

I will upload a link about some vitmins and supplement that has ben studied to be effective for treating dibetic neuropathy. Here is the link.