A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Dr I have been having problem with Ocd behaviors of closing

Customer Question

Dr I have been having problem with Ocd behaviors of closing lids on cans today and worrying if by doing so will affect my heart by doing actions repeatedly?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

What are your diagnosed medical problems?

Customer: I have had disorder and Ocd high blood pressure mild and very low testosterone
DR HASAN :

Ok i see.

Customer: Generalized anxiety disorders
DR HASAN :

I am so sorry to hear that you are so stressed, i would like to know that why you think that closing lids on cans can affect your heart.

DR HASAN :

You there?

Customer: My fear is that if it is covered it will scare the heart is this just false anxiety thoughts
DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

I assure you that this is not so. This can never happen and can't affect your heart in any way.

DR HASAN :

You are really over stressing yourself.

DR HASAN :

Have you got any workup so far for your heart?

Customer: Last fall and winter I had ekg calcium coronary study dress test treadmill
DR HASAN :

If they were normal then just forget it because OCD doesn't effect the healthy heart.

DR HASAN :

Anything else in your mind? Please ask because i would love to help you till you are satisfied.

Customer: Even repeTitive actions do not harm heart like hyperfocusing and hesitating? Any idea as to why my fear of closing things and no coonnection to heart at all?
DR HASAN :

Yes repetitive actions cannot affect your heart because there is no connection. Even you keep hyer focusing whole day, your heart will not be effected.

DR HASAN :

It's just anxiety which affects you.

DR HASAN :

I give you my words for this.

Customer: When it comes time to close a lid for something should I not think about heart to help get over these false thoughts?
DR HASAN :

Yes you should just keep repeating one thing in your mind that repetitive actions don't affect your heart and repeat it so many times that this though overcomes the false thoughts.

Customer: What would the best possible thing to tell myself to not worry about heart?
DR HASAN :

Well i always tell my patients that to overcome false thoughts repeat the true thoughts in their mind so many times that ultimately brain accept the true thought.

DR HASAN :

So just repeat in your mind many times that heart is not affected by any repetitive motion or movement.

Customer: So today earlier My heart was still fine?
DR HASAN :

your heart was fine , is fine and will be fine. Just assure yourself.

DR HASAN :

I assure you too being a doctor.

DR HASAN :

May i know your name.

Customer: Thank you Dr sure my name is XXXXX XXXXX could low level testosterone be causing my anxiety?
DR HASAN :

Kevin thanks for your input. Low testosterone has no relation with anxiety.

DR HASAN :

Any question Kevin

Customer: Another thing I could do is tell myself heart is fine and works by itself?
DR HASAN :

Yes and that is true also.

DR HASAN :

Just relax, your life is for you to control.

DR HASAN :

Don't let your thoughts control it.

Customer: Anything else I can do to overcome lid phobia?
DR HASAN :

Visit a psychiatrist and get treatment for this.

DR HASAN :

Behavioral therapy is recommended for this.

DR HASAN :

But for yourself just be strong and that is most important thing to do.

DR HASAN :

Difficult sometime but not impossible.

Customer: I am and getting new cbt therapist
DR HASAN :

Great.

DR HASAN :

Then continue it but as i suggested just keep repeating this thing in your mind that nothing is going to affect your heart.

Customer: So in conclusion my heart will be just fine and I need to keep telling myself
DR HASAN :

Yes and i assure you that if you do that you will be better soon.

DR HASAN :

I really wish you good luck that you get well soon.

Customer: Thank you for your help I will keep in touch
DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

You can click the smiley to rate the answer.

You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer.

DR HASAN :

I will be glad to assist you always

DR HASAN :

Kevin anything you want to ask?

DR HASAN :

You can keep me asking even after you have rated my answer.

DR HASAN :

Kevin are you getting my messages?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Kevin i am sorry i was not getting your replies in chat so i shifted here. If you found my response helpful, please remember to send an excellent feedback. You can always come back on this page to ask anything you want.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I began hyperfocusing on two words separated by a hyphen and then I put the dvd down looked at it once more then walked away. Does this show improvement? And heart is safe as usual
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes definitely heart is safe but what do you mean by improvement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I began hyperfocusing on shirt tag words that said non chlorine bleach. I am embarrassed to say this went on for two hours until I stopped and put shirt on. Was my heart safe from this Ocd activity even though it lasted that long? Thank you again Dr for your help. How can I break this behavior of hyperfocusing?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I am strongly convinced that this just related to anxiety and you should consult psychiatrist for this. There is no affect of this on your heart for sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again Dr Hasan so there is no need to get my heart checked? Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Kevin there is no need to see your doctor for your heart. I give you my words :).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I began turning switch on light switch up and down and hyperfocusing on shirt tag label. Did these occur activities affect heart function bad? I am going to credit your service today also thank you
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Kevin it's ok, your satisfaction is more than anything for me. No this hyper focusing is not going to affect your heart in any way because there is no link between these two. Hyper focusing on shirt tag and switching light off and on etc has nothing to do with your heart. Please just relax and don't stress yourself. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my heart is beating fast during these actions is it safe to stop them ?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's absolutely safe to stop them because heart has its own regulatory system and stopping of these actions cannot affect the heart. Good luck again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Hasan yesterday I began hyperfocusing on right foot in the shower andit lead to Ocd anxiety of thinking that I would not be able to stop focusing that something bad would happen to my heart or body posture. In other words I would not be same as before I hyperfocused on my feet. How should I over come this? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Well i guess you just need to assure yourself that nothing is going to do any harm to your heart even if you keep hyperfocusing whole day and this is the only way you can get rid of this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So by doing that action my posture was not affected negatively or my heart as you said. Would it be better not to keep looking at feet? Thank you for your help Dr Hasan.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. Sorry for the delay. Yes it would not affect your heart for sure. It would be best not to keep looking at feet Just relax, nothing can harm your heart this way. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Hasan so my normal behavior of not looking at my feet is back to way it was before hyperfocusing? Anything else I can do to forget this habit and scenario?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Kevin i strongly suggest you to see a psychiatrist because this way you are over stressing yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am for sure but in meantime is all else with this ok as far as not looking at feet go?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Just try to concentrate on anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be the best remedy to forget this situation?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
just will power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Hasan I begin CBT this week yesterday and this morning hyperfocusing on my feet while sitting started up again even though I did this unfortunately through most of day yesterday did I cause any damage to my neck or any other part of the body? Sorry to ask but anxiety really got the best of me and I feel drained emotionaly.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Kevin i am glad that you have started CBT. I assure you and give you my words that you have not damaged your neck or any body organ. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much I am so stressed I fee like crying. I am sad I wasted day yesterday and this morning obsessing over feet staring. Any way I can stop this behavior of staringat feet when sitting down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Hasan this morning I kept having a hard time closing my condo door I kept opening it a crack thermal having fear if I do not look so many times in that will harm my heart is this just false thinking and how can I stop this? I have cut down the amount of time doing this Ocd action but I want to eliminate it completely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Need immediately
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. I believe we have discussed similar fantasies before.

There is nothing you can do to your heart - closing doors, opening them, lifting gallons of milk from the refrigerator, etc - that can possibly hurt your heart. That you could even consider these implausible things is a testatment to your OCD. There is no possible real life scenario in which this could be possible.

I'm happy to hear that you have started CBT. Be sure to discuss these worries with your counselor, and the fact that they don't seem to be getting better.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much and hyperfocusing has no effect on heart as well? I am going for an eye exam soon to try and correct this bad habit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Need immediately
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
The behavior of closing lids on the cans cannot harm your heart in any way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I stop staring at a sign on a door?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

You need to focus your energy to another task to break the cycle. You must tell yourself that you only need to look at the sign one time and then move on to another task. You will not harm any body part by not looking at the sign.

I am sorry you were only willing to give me 37 minutes to reply before relisting this question, when it took you 2 1/4 hours to reply to me. Immediate response is rarely possible here since we all are helping other customers at any given moment.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its been a bad day no hurt feelings were intended and I appreciate all your help sincerely.

Thanks. I just wanted to point out what happens when a question gets relisted.

It's wonderful news that you're getting help with CBT to minimize the OCD behaviors. We are here to support you, even though the support is simply to point out that you can't hurt your heart with any repetitive behaviors. That is the OCD talking, not what is possible. Let us know whenever we can help.

Have a great evening!

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unfortunately started to stare at phone on the wall in the kitchen about six feet away then turned to left and walked away but when I looked back I could not see it and I felt anxious was this safe for my heart?

Of course it was safe for your heart. There is practically nothing you can do to hurt your heart that wouldn't incapacitate the rest of you as well.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
T Thank you so much so the movement of moving away from staring at an object does not affect the heart function?

No it doesn't. The heart is designed to respond to anything you do without a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So these are false anxiety thoughts and my movements like above have no correlation to the heart?

Your movements have absolutely nothing to do with your heart. Your concerns are totally due to anxiety about things that are impossible.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much so I should ignore these thoughts because they have no correlation to heart at all? Trying hard to beat this anxiety.

Yes, you should ignore all of this. There isn't any movement you can possibly make that will damage your heart.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So when I feel like I am standing still and feeling anxious I should know that is only anxiety and I should move from that spot because nothing like that can affect the heart?

Where you are standing has nothing to do with your heart, and moving from that spot has nothing to so with your heart. The feeling or belief that anything you can do will affect your heart is due to your anxiety. There is absolutely nothing you can do that is going to harm your heart. It is all in your mind and the twisted thinking because of the anxiety. Harming your heart through moving or not moving is as likely as the sun rising in the west.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again had problem closing my condo door shut because of fear it affects the heart so this false anxiety thoughts again? I tend to look inside then hesitate closing it because of this false fear. Even with the thoughts the heart goes on functioning normally? Sorry to ask again.

Hello again,

Yes, this is just false reasoning based on your anxiety. In your mind, you know that closing the door doesn't affect your heart, but the anxiety makes you doubt the fact. It's false thinking based on an irrational fear.

Warm regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can turning a knife over to look at other side affect anything or touching the handle repeately even if heart is beating fast?

Of course not. The heart is beting fast because of your anxiety, not because of any handling of the knife.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so heart functions separate from these motions I described above and vision is separate?

All systems are separate. There isn't anything you can do, look at, etc. that is going to harm your heart.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you turn a Gillette razor over to see the other side a few times then set it down and pick it up again then swt it down again is harmless to heart and just Ocd anxiety playing tricks with my mind by repeating the action?

It's just OCD and anxiety playing tricks on you.Smile

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much so my heart is safe?

Yes, your heart is perfectly safe. None of these mundane movements can harm it.

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was staring at front metal hinge on my refrigerator then I walked away and only looked back once from the distance of the refrigerato and then walked out the door did that effect the heart function?
No it didn't affect your heart whatsoever. Looking or staring at things will never affect your heart.

Kind regards,

Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much so walking away from what I was staring at is safe and also has no effect on heart? I am trying to move away fast when my Ocd staring acts up
Moving away from what you were staring at is also not going to hurt your heart, any more than walking across the floor at any other time will hurt it.

Kind regards,

Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the action of lifting and setting down two sheets of paper separate function from heart? And is it just my anxiety trying yo trick me into repeating this movement?

It has no effect on your heart at all. This false thinking is a product of your OCD and anxiety.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At work there is a small white box alarm sensor on the upper front window pane that makes my OCD act up and look at repeatedly. Again vision is not connected to heart so looking at this box and looking away from it is harmless to the body?
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, but I am only paid for my work when you click accept and leave positive feedback, which hasn't happened for several months now (since March).

Thanks for the accept and positive rating. There is nothing you can do visually that will affect your heart. It is the "OCD thinking" that is messing with your rational mind. In your heart of hearts you know that looking or staring at things repeatedly is harmless to your body.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My Ocd keeps making me look at label on ice tea can how can I stop doing that?

You can just keep telling yourself it is just the OCD, and you don't have to obey the impulse. Your psychotherapist can help you with this as well.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And no effect on heart avoiding looking as well?

There is no effect on your heart. Period. Your heart will be fine whether you look at the label or don't. Nothing you look at or stare at is going to have any effect on your heart whatsoever.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~