Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

I really need help. Ive had ongoing health issues for the

Customer Question

I really need help. I've had ongoing health issues for the last year, had a lot of tests that came back normal. Basically stomach problems, symptoms mimicking hypoglycemia even though my blood sugar is normal, and a lot of lightheadedness.
In the past few weeks I have felt worse in some ways. The last week of February and first week of March I was getting weakness in my arms and legs and felt awful in general but I started feeling better up until yesterday. My stomach started hurting and then I started feeling more and more lightheaded, then I went to bed. I woke up four hours later feeling really hot and sweating, and my throat was sore. I drank some water and felt a little better, started feeling cold instead of hot, and went back to sleep. Woke up today feeling really weak and shaky, felt weak and sick all day. I felt like this a couple weeks ago so I don't think it's the flu, but now I am feeling worse than ever. I was feeling slightly better, ate a handful of M&Ms and my stomach hurt and I started feeling really flushed like I have a fever. I'm really scared I have something awful.
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

I'm sorry I did not see a question posted. What exactly is your question? What test have you had and what were the results? What medications are you taking? What is your weight? What other medical conditions do you have besides the stomach issue?

Customer:

I was basically just wondering what could be going on. I've had a lot of blood testing, CBC, complete chemical profile, thyroid, lyme disease, ANA, all normal. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. Height is 5'1, weight is 140. I'm 22. I take amitriptyline at night which i started in the fall.

medtech254 :

What other medical conditions do you have?

Customer:

I haven't been diagnosed with anything but my symptoms are really similar to hypoglycemia... have to eat or I'll feel faint, sugar makes me crash, etc., but my blood sugar is normal. that's my main problem usually, and just lightheadedness/malaise a lot of the time. today my problem is weakness and feeling sick all over which i also had a couple weeks ago.

medtech254 :

Have you had an A1c test done and if so what was the result?

Customer:

I haven't. The doctor said I didn't really need one because my blood sugar was always normal. She said it was slightly low for two hours after eating (2-hour post prandial blood sugar is usually 80-100)

medtech254 :

Have you checked your own blood sugar or have you just had it tested in the dr office? Did the weakness that you talk about in the arms and legs resolve after consuming food?

medtech254 :

This sounds like you have multiple problems going on. It may be that you in fact have classic hypoglycemia and either an acid or ulcer issue, or a stomach bug. What type of diet do you eat?

medtech254 :

If glucose levels become too low, as occurs with hypoglycemia, it can have these effects on your brain:

• Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks

• Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision

• Seizures, though uncommon

• Loss of consciousness, though uncommon

Hypoglycemia may also cause these other signs and symptoms:

• Heart palpitations

• Shakiness

• Anxiety

• Sweating

• Hunger

• Tingling sensation around the mouth

These signs and symptoms aren't specific to hypoglycemia. There may be other causes. An intravenous blood sample to test your blood sugar level at the time of these signs and symptoms is the only way to know for sure that hypoglycemia is the cause.

medtech254 :

Have you had the blood sugar tested during one of these episodes?

Customer:

yes usually when I get the symptoms my blood sugar is around 100, or 80 at the lowest, so it's not low. It just feels like it. The weakness doesn't usually resolve when I eat when it's present. I had the weakness about two weeks ago and now I have it again.

medtech254 :

If this were hypoglycemia then consuming a food high in sugar or glucose tablets would resolve the issue.

medtech254 :

This would occur in just a few minutes.

medtech254 :

So if this is something that continues even with sugar intake then it is not likely hypoglycemia.

Customer:

well it's always related to eating. either before or after eating.

Customer:

I have a question about gastritis/ulcers... could they ever cause low grade fever or general weakness?

medtech254 :

Yes this is quite possible. You may have a bleeding ulcer that is causing blood loss which would result in weakness. The ulcer would also cause the stomach pain. This would also cause a low grade fever.

Customer:

okay thank you. the pain is not severe though, wouldn't a bleeding ulcer cause severe pain?

Customer:

the stomach pain has mainly been on and off

medtech254 :

Normally belching, severe pain when the ulcer progresses, vomiting, abdominal pain in the muscles of the whole region.

medtech254 :

Do you burp or belch alot?

Customer:

sometimes, yes

Customer:

I have been lately

medtech254 :

Each person experiences different symptoms, but there are several that are common to stomach ulcers. Many people suffer from a burning or gnawing pain in their abdomen, between the belly button and breastbone. It typically occurs in the early morning hours or between meals and can last anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few hours. Other people may experience from lack of appetite, nausea, tiredness, belching, vomiting and weakness.

medtech254 :

This will cause stomach discomfort, muscle weakness, and tiredness as you describe.

Customer:

will antacids help?

medtech254 :

Have you had an test like an egd?

Customer:

I don't think so

medtech254 :

With ulcer they do lower help neutralize the ph of the stomach caused by the hydrochloric acid but are often of very little help.

medtech254 :

This is something you will want to discuss with your regular doctor so they can physically look in the stomach to see if there is a problem there like ulcer.

Customer:

okay. what is the treatment?

Customer:

and could I have these symptoms even if there is no bleeding?

medtech254 :

Well it depends on if that is the culprit or not. If that is the problem the treatment of ulcers typically involves antibiotics to kill the H. pylori bacterium and other medications to reduce the level of acid in your digestive system to relieve pain and encourage healing. You may take antibiotics for two weeks and acid-reducing medications for about two months.

If your ulcer isn't caused by H. pylori, you won't need antibiotics.

medtech254 :

You can have these even without a sever bleeding ulcer yes.

Customer:

okay. because i have had no black stool or vomiting blood or anything

medtech254 :

I would recommend an egd to verify.

medtech254 :

It can be a small bleed that is not visually noticeable in the stool without lab test for occult blood.

Customer:

could gastritis/ulcer symptoms go away for about a week and a half and them come back? I had the weakness and sick feeling a couple of weeks ago, then started feeling better, now feel bad again

medtech254 :

You could have caused an "episode" after eating something that caused an increase in the hydrochloric acid and pepsin content of the stomach. Stress will also cause these episodes as well as some medications.

medtech254 :

The first thing is to verify the stomach condition and consult with your doctor to get this done. Once you have that additional information you will know how best to procede.

Customer:

okay thank you. I was eating eggs kind of often and cooking with a lot of olive oil... could the increase in fats cause this problem?

medtech254 :

Yes the increase in fats would cause an increase in stomach acid.

medtech254 :

I hope I have answered your questions today. Once you get the additional testing you can always come back if you have additional concerns. Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer:

okay, thanks!

medtech254 :

Please remember to rate today as well. Thanks again!

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I woke up today with my stomach really upset and I feel weak and lightheaded. I keep thinking it's just a stomach bug but I felt the same weakness a couple of weeks ago. I'm not really sure what could be going on.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

Did you make an appointment to see your doctor and discuss other possibilities? Did you rate yesterday? For some reason it does not show up.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I forgot to rate. I think tomorrow I am going to the walk-in clinic at my doctor's office. I feel very similar to how I felt last summer when I was really sick and I never figured out what it was...

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
This is not likely to be a simple stomach bug since it is coming in episodes with weeks in between. I would discuss with them the stomach issues we talked about yesterday and have them evaluate you in person.