Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

I had a recent diagnosis of elevated CK levels in averaging

I had a recent diagnosis of elevated CK levels in averaging between 350-550, and have stabilized within that range. I do not take Statins or Niacin, and it has been over 2 months now. A CK, Total + Isoenzymes, Serum was conducted, and Myostosis, including autoimmune myostosis, polymyostosis, malignancy-associated dermatomysitis, and drug-induced myostosis are the possibilities. Should I go to a Rheumotoidologist, Neurologit, or have a muscle biopsy performed?

The value of 350-550 for CK is elevated but not very high.The possible causes would include hard physical work,muscle injury,Hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism,muscular dystrophy like limb-Girdle muscular dystrophy,hereditary myopathy,viral infections,alcoholism,autoimmune diseases like polymyositis and dermatomyositis ,secondary to certain drugslike steroids/colchicine/verapamil and idiopathic .It would help if you are examined by a Rheumatologist and a Neurologist and a Muscle biopsy and EMG is performed along with lab tests to rule out endocrine causes and drug induced elevation of CK.Autoimmune diseases would also need to be ruled out