Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Hi, I have had ongoing health issues for about a year that

Hi, I have had ongoing health issues for about a year that have not been diagnosed, and doctors have mostly told me they are anxiety related. I got a virus in the spring and have not felt the same since. Over the summer I was having nausea and vomiting almost every morning but it tapered off, and I was dizzy and lightheaded all the time. Then I started getting symptoms mimicking hypoglycemia, for the past several months I have had to eat at least every two hours or I get really dizzy and lightheaded. And I've also just had a vague lightheaded/malaise type feeling much of the time, which has been better some days and worse others, and have still been getting some nausea. I have had other symptoms but I can't remember everything, for the past few weeks I have had weakness in my arms and legs off and on but it was getting better in the past week.
I decided to try going gluten-free to see if it helps any of the symptoms. I had tried in January but I wasn't as strict with it as I should have been. I have cut out gluten completely for around the past week and a half. At first I felt really good and the symptoms I did have were very manageable (still had the frequent hunger and lightheadedness but I was able to keep it under control by eating) and the weakness in my arms and legs was going away. Then yesterday I woke up feeling like I had a hangover, I thought it was from eating a lot of sugar the night before so I drank a lot of water, ate, and felt a little better. Then later I started getting hungry but my stomach was also hurting, and after I ate my stomach hurt and I had some gas pains. It was uncomfortable but I wasn't worried. I made a cup of digestive tea mixed with calming tea and did some school work, and for some reason after I drank the tea I felt much worse with the lightheaded/shaky feeling. Throughout the evening I felt a little better but was still really lightheaded and weak when I went to bed.
Then I went to sleep, and about four hours later I woke up, and I was really hot but my face felt cold, and it was cold in the room so I shouldn't have been hot. My stomach was upset and I felt like I had a UTI (which I get a lot if I need to drink water) so I drank water and felt a little bit better. I went from hot to freezing cold. I went back to sleep, and woke up this afternoon feeling very weak and shaky. I ate and felt slightly better but I still do not feel well at all. I know it's not a viral illness or anything, it doesn't feel like that. But it is scary and I know if I go to the doctor they'll tell me they don't know.
Category: Health
Expert:  bcusack5607 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Registered Nurse. Lets first talk about your symptoms. They sound like you may be anemic and/or dehydrated. Many young women experience anemia. Here's some info about it...

Because a low red blood cell count decreases oxygen delivery to every tissue in the body, anemia can cause a variety of signs and symptoms. It can also worsen the symptoms of almost any other underlying medical condition.

Symptoms of anemia may include the following: fatigue; decreased energy; weakness;

shortness of breath; light headedness; dizziness and nausea. All of which sound like your symptoms. And the symptoms are definitely worse if you're not drinking enough fluids.

You couldn't be pregnant could you? When was your last menstrual period? Are they heavy periods?

Brandie, RN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been checked and I am not anemic. The symptoms were bad two weeks ago, then got a lot better for a little while, and now I feel horrible again. I drink plenty of water, probably over a gallon throughout the day. No chance of pregnancy, and I just started on NuvaRing a little less than two weeks ago.

Did they get better when you began the NuvaRing? Have you had all your hormones checked? Including your thyroid? Normally when a young patient goes into a primary care physicians office things like hormones and thyroid aren't regularly checked and are becoming more and more of a problem for our generation. I would suggest calling and seeing about checking your thyroid. Your symptoms also match an imbalanced thyroid.

Theres two types of imbalances, hyperthyroid and hypothyroid. Here are some symptoms...

Hypothyroid-

At the onset of the disease, the symptoms can be vague and develop slowly. They may not include weakness, weight gain, cold sensitivity, cold hands and feet, fatigue, dry skin, brittle nails, and thinning, brittle hair. Other early symptoms include muscle achiness, joint pain, and heavy menstrual periods.

Hyperthyroid-

Hyperthyroidism can mimic other health problems, which may make it difficult for your doctor to diagnose. It can also cause a wide variety of signs and symptoms, including:

Sudden weight loss, Rapid heartbeat, heartbeat (arrhythmia) or pounding of your heart,

Increased appetite, Nervousness, anxiety and irritability, Tremor,Sweating, Changes in menstrual patterns, Increased sensitivity to heat, Changes in bowel patterns, An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), which may appear as a swelling at the base of your neck,Fatigue, muscle weakness, and Difficulty sleeping.

Unfortunately the only way to confirm this is to draw your blood. Hope this helps! Brandie, RN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been tested for thyroid disease too. In the summer when it was tested I had a TSH of 0.66, very slightly high total T4 (12.1), and normal free T4 (1.4). It was tested again in December and my TSH was lower at 0.34 but free T4 was the same. About a month later my TSH was 0.71 and my free T4 was 1.14 so I had started to go in the other direction.

Maybe it's time for another check of your thyroid?? I'd suggest making an appointment with an endocrinologist and check not only your thyroid but other hormones as well. It can't hurt...and it'll help to ease your mind.
Brandie, RN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I don't think my doctor will refer me to an endocrinologist because she says my thyroid is perfectly fine but could any other hormones be off? I am also having some seasonal allergy symptoms, could they be causing the weakness, feverish feeling, and general unwell feeling by any chance?

Ya seasonal allergies can definitely make someone feel under the weather especially if you are developing severe allergy symptoms. Have your primary care physician check it out...sometimes they can do it right in the office. I'll schedule a follow up question with you to see how you are. Good night! Brandie,RN :)
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are prone to getting a flushed face after eating, there are several ways you can alleviate the problem. This is generally not a serious issue and usually does not indicate a serious underlying health concern. It can, however, be rather annoying and embarrassing. Your skin, particularly the skin on your face, has lots of tiny blood vessels just beneath the surface. Certain things can cause these vessels to dilate and as your heart rate increases, it causes the blood to rush through these dilated vessels, close to the surface of the skin. When your heart rate decreases and the blood vessels return to normal, the flush you are experiencing comes to an end. There are certain factors that can trigger a flush, and you can track these down by simple observation. Start by paying attention to what you eat. If you eat a lot of spicy foods, these will trigger a flush. What about your beverage? Too much alcohol or too many hot drinks can cause a flush. Finally, pay attention to how quickly you are eating. If you are in a hurry and are eating too fast, your heart rate will elevate and you will get flushed. Try slowing down, and see if that alone doesn’t alleviate the problem.

There are other common triggers that don’t have anything to do with the foods you consume. These factors include:

• Certain medications
  • Harsh facial cleansers
  • Vigorous exercise
  • Hormonal changes caused by pregnancy or menopause
  • Sun or wind exposure

If you are worried that your flush may be an indication of a serious underlying health issue, contact your primary care physician. She can administer tests that will rule out the possibility of these rare illnesses and make recommendations for other lifestyle changes that can help combat flushed skin.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to read my replies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thank you. I'm not having a flushed face after eating.
I went to a walk-in clinic today and they asked if I was a hypochondriac and gave me antacid medication, so I guess I'm out of options at this point. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, as was discussed in the other thread the prilosec seems to help so if you can get to a regular physician that is probably the best option for you. I wish you the best of luck. Do not give up on finding a treatment until you are back to good health. If you have further questions we will be here to assist you anytime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. I have been having some back pain too, is this probably muscular or could it be something more serious like kidney or pancreas issues?

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have other symptoms as well beyond this discomfort and the already established flu like symptoms and stomach issues? Where exactly is the pain. Is it on one side or the other or both? Are you consuming at least 8 8oz glasses of fluid a day now? Do you have dark urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No other symptoms really. The pain is mainly in my lower back but kind of radiates to other places, it's not confined to one side. I am drinking plenty of water and do not have dark urine. I went back to the clinic to have my urine checked and they said there was a very small amount of blood but no infection. Is that anything to worry about?

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Very small amounts of blood can occur for many reasons. If they checked the urine then a kidney infection is not likely although blood is not normally present in the blood. Have you had any falls or injuries to the abdomen or back lately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I haven't had any injuries to the back or abdomen. Could any other kidney diseases cause it? I don't think the pain is severe enough to be a stone but I have nausea and other issues that can occur with kidney failure.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
With all the symptoms you have described kidnery failure would be a very remote possibility. Have you been exercising quite a bit lately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I haven't been exercising at all since I've been ill.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

Since the pain is not concentrated on just one side stones or other kidney ailments are very unlikely. It sounds like this may be a simple muscle injury. The blood if it is a very small amount is not a reason for concern. If you have visually noticeable blood this would be a serious concern. You can use a heating pad to increase blood flow in the area and ease the pain. You can also take over the counter ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours as long as this does not upset your stomach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. I think I will try to go to another clinic (the one where my regular doctor is) and explain everything tomorrow to see if they have a better idea. This has all just been very worrisome.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. It can be overwhelming with all the problems you are having. The important thing is to make sure not to stress about it as increased stress will just make the symptoms worse. Good luck tou you and I hope you get to feeling well soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I just used the bathroom and had some fresh blood in my stool, not much but a little more than I've had previously. My lower back still hurts a bit and I was feeling really nauseous, tired, and weak as I was waking up. Should I be worried about this?

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
What color was the blood? Do you have hemorrhoids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bright red. Not that I know of. I am feeling a bit better now.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
How long did this go on? Did it just start all of a sudden and stop? If it is bright red it is likely caused by a hard stool and should resolve itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes it was only one time. It is not unusual for me to get a very small amount of blood but this was just a little more than usual (but still not much) and with my lower back pain it concerned me. I was wondering, is it possible for my symptoms to be side effects of NuvaRing? I started it a couple of weeks ago and have been getting cramping but I'm starting to wonder if the other symptoms (back pain, nausea, fatigue) are related.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to help with your question but if you don't mind let's close this and open a new page. Just Answer does not like a long thread with multiple questions on it. Just go to http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-c-coleman/ and the question will come straight to me and I will assist you. Thanks!
Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.