Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I had triple bypass surgery on January 10th, was released from

Customer Question

I had triple bypass surgery on January 10th, was released from hospital on Jan 15th.
I had to go back in to hospital for 5 days on Jan 27th as I was diagnosed with paracarditis.
I have two questions.
1. When can I resume normal activities such as lifting any kind of weight? I know that it states nothing over 10 pounds for the first six weeks but what about after that.
2. I am constantly in some kind of discomfort in my chest especially on my left side which feels like a numbing and burning feeling, any idea on when this will stop?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Have you gone for a check up after January?

Any chest pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have gone for checkups to both my family doctor and the cardiac surgeon.

The best exercise for patients after triple by pass surgery is wlking , as advised by cardiologists.

It is recommended to lift weights gradully increasing after 8 weeks of surgery. How much weight can be lifted will depend on your capacity to lift weight, your body mass etc and you have to take a special weight trainer for this.

The constant numbing and burning on the left side of the chest needs evaluation. It could be due to pleural inflammation known as pleuritis. Since you had an episode of pericarditis, you should call your doctor's office and get a chest X ray and an echocardiography done.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

Just like to add a few more details:

1.Begin with short duration sessions as this will allow your body to safely adapt. Start off with 15 to 20 minute sessions and work up from there. There is no definite weight limit though, lift till you are comfortable.

2.Use light resistance in the beginning. It is far better to use light weights and learn proper form up front than start off with heavy weights and sloppy form. Begin with a weight that allows you to perform 10 to 15 repetitions. When you can do 15 without any undue fatigue, increase the weight by 3 to 5 percent.

3. Don’t overdo it. Perform resistance training two to three times per week.

I hope my answer has helped you.
Hello, do you have any more questions/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response, this really helps.

Can you explain what "pleural inflammation" is please?

Pleural inflammation means thickening of the membrane covering the the lung . This may be secondary to the pericarditis, same resons that caused it. This is likely to go down on its own. You can take OTC advil for any mild pain / discomfort , when needed.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have what I need, thanks

You are most welcome.

I hope you are fine now.

If you have any new questions for me, please request me as Dr. Bora as the opening statement of the question.