Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

what to do about bad breath from dry mouth from psy meds?

what to do about bad breath from dry mouth from psy meds? xlitol products are difficult to find.  Where worried about all the cavities you get from dry mouth

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Yes you can use sugar free cough drops as well as other hard candy for the dry mouth and this will in turn help the bad breath as many times bad breath is actually caused by a dry mouth.

Don't overbrush the teeth (only brush twice a day) as this can cause mouth irritation but when you do brush, make sure to brush the tongue.

Mouthwash can also cause irritation if you use the ones with alcohol, so use those sparingly unless you can find one that is alcohol-free in your area. Tom's of Maine makes an alcohol free one if you can find one.

Making sure good routine dental care is utilized as well can head off any issues cropping up that might not be noticeable yet like an abscessed tooth or other malady.

Reply back if I can help further.