Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

lately my eyes feel like they are burning. it really feels

lately my eyes feel like they are burning. it really feels like there is a mini explosion behind my eyeballs and things get blurred. i wear glasses but mainly for work, sometimes for tv. the eye dr says my eyes are fine but i know what im feeling. what would cause this?

Greetings Marlie.

Was your eye ball pressure normal?
Do you have history of migraine or any significant past medical history?
Are you on any medications?
Was a CT scan or an MRI done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

eye pressure was normal, i recently have been told i have degenerative boone disease and fibromyalgia. last month i went to the hospital thinking i was having a heart attack due to chest pain, jaw pain and my right upper arm aching. i also had a nuclear test as well as ct and mri. the result was walking pneumonia and gald stones. headaches are every now and then but when they happen it's more like a migraine.

i'm currenty taking:

seroquile recently as in the past week (not often only when i think needed)

voltaren gel

Hello Marlie,

Burning of eyes, mini explosion behind eyeballs and things getting blurred can be aura which is part of manifestation of the migraine. Please read the symptoms of the migraine in this resource;

There are two types of medications used for the treatment of migraine;

1) To abort the attack

Dopamine antagonists

2) To prevent the headache

Valproic acid, gabapentin

Calcium channel blockers

Beta-blockers, tricyclic antidepressants

There are dietary triggers known which should be avoided. Common triggers are

a) chocolate,

b) aged cheeses and meats,

c) wine and beer

d) citrus fruits.

See here an article about migraine variants;

Fibromyalgia too can be responsible for your symptoms, which may have following of the manifestations;

1) widespread muscle pain, "myalgia,"

2) excessive tenderness in many areas of the body

3) fatigue,

4) sleep disturbances,

5) headaches,

6) mood disturbances, such as depression and anxiety.

Laboratory studies and investigative work up like following are done to help rule out diseases with similar manifestations and to assist in diagnosis of certain inflammatory diseases that frequently coexist with fibromyalgia;

1) Complete blood cell (CBC) count and differential count,

2) Basic metabolic panel,

3) Urinalysis,

4) Thyroid-stimulating hormone: Hypothyroidism has many similar clinical features with fibromyalgia.

5) Creatinine phosphokinase (CPK) to rule out inflammatory myopathies

6) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

7) Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs): Many patients with SLE have comorbid fibromyalgia.

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sleep studies

The treatment of fibromyalgia is comprehensive. The treatment has to be individually tailored;

1) Aerobic exercise; low-impact aerobics, walking, water aerobics, stationary bicycle.

2) Heat, massage, and other treatments like sauna, hot baths and showers, hot mud, and massage.

3) Trigger-point injections,

4) Acupuncture,

5) Chiropractic manipulation,

6) Myofascial release

7) Neural pulse stimulation (CNP) device

8) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT)

9) Relaxation training and biofeedback

10) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and acetaminophen

11) Opioid analgesics (hydrocodone, oxycodone, fentanyl, morphine),

12) Anxiolytics/hypnotics

13) Estrogen receptor modulator raloxifene

14) St. John's wort, ginseng, valerian, botanical oil, melatonin, magnesium, dehydroepiandrosterone

A combination of above is tried for an individual to relieve the symptoms.

The goal of fibromyalgia treatment is to improve the physical and mental health and quality of life. This goal implies helping manage distressing symptoms, but with decreased dependence on the medical care system. The common recommendations of education, exercise, and pharmacotherapy are often appropriate. Comorbid conditions, such as arthritis and obesity, if present, should be treated because they can contribute to increasing physical and mental symptoms. In fibromyalgia; you are best person to guide your physician, as there are no set rules or standard of protocol which can be effective. The treatment which have been best and efficacious for you in past can be repeated. Because medical therapy is unsatisfactory, patients find their way to alternative therapies. Some of these therapies may be helpful to individual patients, such as massage, water therapy, spa treatment, and acupuncture. So, your decision to choose them supersede the physician's recommendations. The research, in addition to the clinical experience, indicates that the addition of education and a behavioral or cognitive-behavioral component to fibromyalgia treatment protocols is warranted. A combination of the Patient Education, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Relaxation Techniques, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine is suppose to bring the best outcome in quality of life.

For the management of the fibromyalgia using the principles of comprehensive nonpharmacologic pain management represented by the acronym ExPRESS; has been suggested.

1) Ex is for exercise.

2) P is for psychiatric comorbidity, because depression and anxiety disorders are common in chronic pain conditions and contribute significantly to pain and disability.

3) R is for regaining function; this often involves helping patients with activity pacing so that they do not do too much on days when they feel good and do too little on days when they feel bad.

4) E is for education; Web sites hosted by the Arthritis Foundation and the National Fibromyalgia Association are the best education sites.

5) S is for sleep hygiene, which is necessary for many who have developed counterproductive habits.

6) Finally, S is for stress management, which includes any number of elements, such as CBT, relaxation techniques, hydrotherapy, and gentle exercise to name just a few.

You may get an MRI of the brain, if not yet done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What can be done now until i get another appt with thr doc. due to stomach issues i stopped taking naproxen. my main issue now is the eyes. it effects my driving, working everything.
Hello Marlie,

Migraine can be helped by following;

1) relaxation therapy
2) Occipital nerve stimulators
3) herb Butterbur (Petasites hybridus)
4) herb, feverfew,
5) Riboflavin (vitamin B2), used in higher doses (200-400 mg) for 3-4 months,
6) Acupuncture
7) Acupressure.

Following collective measures should be helpful overall:

1) Psychotherapy;
a) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
b) Interpersonal therapy
c) Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBC)
d) Psychodynamic psychotherapy

2) Physical activity and exercises.

4) Stress reduction techniques.

5) Massage and physical therapy

6) Acupuncture.

It is privilege assisting you.