Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I currently am having an issue with my left ear. It is not

I currently am having an issue with my left ear. It is not plugged and can hold my nose and blow and it pops and can hear fine. But when I walk and/or move my head and clear my throat I hear a thump sound in it. I have been taking Flonase, Claritin for 4 days now and will not go away. Any idea what this is..wax? Fluid? Or suggestions as to what I could try. Am flying in 5 days and hope to get rid of this by then.
Thank You

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Have you undergone any tests so far?

Is there any other known medical illness?

Do you also have dizziness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX no dizziness and no medical illness. Feel great otherwise.

Dear XXXXX

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having can be due to various causes.It is possible that you may indeed have fluid in your ear (in the middle ear space deep to the eardrum). Alternatively, it is also possible that you may have some fluid in your external ear (ear canal).

Another great possibility is of a condition called tinnitus. It may sounds like rushing water beside ringing in ears.The most common cause of this is damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear.Other causes are:hearing nerve impairment due to advanced age,wax buildup or foreign objects in the ear canal, ear or sinus infections,exposure to loud noise,diseases of the central nervous system.

You need following tests:

-Audiogram

-ABR (Auditory Brain Response)

-Acoustic reflex test or tympanogram

As you have to fly in 5 days, I advice you to make an urgent appointment with your
ENT doctor for these tests to know the exact cause & then treatment will be
done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You

Dear XXXXX

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

If the fluid is confirmed in your ear,then the ENT doctor may
insert a tube through the eardrum to allow air into the middle ear.This
procedure is known as myringotomy.

If an ear infection is confirmed,then oral antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly.

So an early/urgent appointment with an ENT doctor is required.

Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Jennifer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your ENT doctor?
What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything seems to be fine now. Apparently it was just some allergies and a little fluid that has since become unnoticeable due to continuing on the meds I was already on.

Thank you for your help and for following up with me, it is very much appreciated!

Jennifer

Dear jennifer,

Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Its good to hear that you are fine now.

Have a happy & safe journey.

Always feel free to request me to answer your any other questions regarding your health.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles