Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Yesterday, I got a very bad headache and my jaw seems to be

Yesterday, I got a very bad headache and my jaw seems to be misaligned somehow. I can't close the back of my teeth, my molars, together. I also smell cigarette smoke when no one is smoking.

What could be wrong?

Welcome and thanks for your question , You could be suffering from temporomandibular joint disorder ,in which the disk that connects your lower jaw bone to the temporal bone suffers a degenerative process, erodes,moves or slides out producing pain , inflammation and the subsequent misalignment .

In this case , what you should do ,is contacting your doctor immediately . The treatment could include pain and anti-inflammatory medications ,corticosteroids injections and a surgical procedure if it is necessary like an arthrocentesis to remove the inflammatory products or the surgical repair or replacement of the affected joint .

It is important to determine if you could have experienced an acute cerebrovascular event in which the brain blood flow experienced a sudden blockage by the presence of cholesterol or clots . Your doctor will perform a head CT Scan or MRI to confirm or rule out this possibility .

The altered sense of smell could be associated to different factors like sinusitis ,olfactory nerve compression , temporal lobe disorders or brain blood flow alterations , infectious process or atypical epilepsy . In your case , this is probably sinusitis .

You should be evaluated, the doctor will need to perform some image tests to find out what specific condition is affecting you so You can be treated properly . Right now , what you should do is contacting a doctor IMMEDIATELY , this could be serious .

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.