A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What is the difference between Chrysin and Passionflower extract

What is the difference between Chrysin and Passionflower extract ( if any )? I have been taking Chrysin to help suppress Estrogen production. Passionflower extract looks to be less expensive but I wonder if it functions the same way?

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

Chrysin is one of the flavones found in passionflower, some geramiums, some mushrooms, etc. It is supposed to be an aromatase inhibitor, and it works that way in a test tube. However, there is no evidence that it has any clinical activity when taken internally. Clinical studies has shown that it has no effect on estrogen production in humans or animals. In clinical trials it was shown to decrease thyroid function in mice so that they became fatter.

Without more information, there is no way to tell what passionflower extract contains. You would need to check the bottle (if you trust what the company says).

Possible components that can be extracted include the following:

• Flavonoids: kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, vitexin, isovitexin, chrysin, etc.
  • Alkaloids: harmaline, harman, harmalol, etc.
  • Other: carbohydrates, fatty acids, maltol. erythlmaltol,etc.
  •  

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Schuyler

Thanks for responding.The extract contains 4% flavanoids as isovitexen. The Chrysin I have been using contains 5,7-dihydroxyflavone. Different compounds from the same plant? Not sure what you can deduce from that, but it sounds as if I am wasting my money anyway?

Hi, Martin,

Yes, clinical studies have shown no evidence that either one is of any help for altering hormone production, so it really isn't a prudent use of your money.

Since the extract sounds like it contains only the flavonoid isovitrexen, it is definitely not the same as chrysin.

Best regards,

Schuyler