Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I am 58 years old and am having much of the same discomfort.

I am 58 years old and am having much of the same discomfort. Tailbone discomfort and feeling that I always need to poop. that sensation goes away during the night when I am sleeping but comes back after I am up for about an hour in the morning.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Do you have pain in tail bone?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For several weeks. No tests so far. Yes discomfort in are just above the tailbone.

Dear Toni,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The coccyx discomfort(tail bone discomfort) you are having can be due to various causes.Most common causes are: trauma, fractures, dislocations, and malignancies (either primary or metastatic).

Referred pain from other sources:Lumbar spine facet joints and muscles ,Inflammation of the sacro-coccygeal joint, coccydynia(Inflammation of the bony area (tail bone or coccyx) located between the buttocks).

Degeneration & nerve root compression is the most probable cause of your symptoms.

When the nerve root gets compressed,it causes pressure along the nerve pathway & hence when there is pressure on the nerves of rectum,it feels you to go to poop.Because there can be 'mild' compression & pressure & during sleep it does not bother you.

Other possibility can be of IBD(Inflammatory bowel disease)It includes two chronic diseases that cause inflammation of the intestines: ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease. Their exact cause is not known yet.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-X-ray lower back
-Colonoscopy
-Stool examination.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Toni,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
What test were done?

Is there anything else that I can help you out?
Let me know,
Dr.Charles