Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

What does this mean? 2. Grade 4 CMP with focal full thickness

What does this mean?
2. Grade 4 CMP with focal full thickness fissure of the lateral facet / median ridge area with
irregular chondral softening / thinning medial facet with associated grade 1/2 chondromalacia
lateral femoral trochlea groove.
3. Patella alta with PT / PL ratio of 1.6. Slight lateral tilt of the patella. Oedema within the
lateral infra-patellar Hoffa fat pad suggests PFJ impingement. Patella tendon intact.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

1. These are findings related to your knee joint cartilage. Overuse, injury or other factors may lead to a condition known as chondromalacia patella — a general term indicating damage to the cartilage under your kneecap.

2.Patella alta means a high patella. There is also mild inflammation / swelling within the fat pad around the patella.

With all these findings you would have to see an orthopedic doctor who can guide you with the most appropriate therapy.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 4 CMP be fixed without surgery? I am seeing sports physician on monday with referal to orthopedic surgeon.

No, I believe you will need surgery due to the patella alta which is also the reason for the pain and CMP.

Surgery will usually cure your problem and the CMP is most likely secondary to patella alta.

I hope my answer has helped you.

You see, therapy for grade 4 CMP may not require surgery unless you have severe knee pain limiting your daily activity. But the patella alta has to be surgically corrected as it is an abnormal position of the patella. So, I guess you will need surgery ultimately.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Thanks for the accept.

If you have any new health question for me, please request me as DR. BORA. in the opening statement of the question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, what type of questions should I ask the Orthopeadic surgeon / sports physician?

Sorry I was offline and did not see your reply.

Firstly,you should ask if patella alta is completely correctible with surgery.
Secondly, if treating patella alta will help treat chondromalacia patellae conservatively.