Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My health issue is bad breath. What can I do about it?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, Ethel.

For the bad breath; other cause need to be looked, apart from teeth and gum issues, which I am sure you may have considered. .Bad breath need to be looked for the following causes;

a) Dental and gum issue; need to be checked by a dentist.

b) Sinus infection, nose infection, polyp of nose, all can cause bad breath, despite that there is no dental or gum cause; Ear nose throat specialist should be consulted. CT scan of the sinus would be recommended.

3) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); gastroenterologist should evaluate. Heartburn may or may not be present.

Handling these issues should be able to get rid of bad breath. Drinking lot of water, avoiding smoking (if you do) will help. People who have decreased salivation may also have bad breath. Sjögren syndrome; when salivary gland are affected by autoimmune disease,is one of the cause of decreased salivation. GERD is treated by following;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Chronic sinusitis is treated as following;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.
2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.
3) Topical decongestant for short duration.
4) Antihistamines
5) Steam vaporizer
6) Eucalyptus oil may help
7) Nasal saline irrigation
8) Vitamin C
9) Antibiotics; only if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

Scaling by a dentist and flossing would help in the dental issue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I do take omerpazole for acid reflux and a myriad of other meds for high cholestrol,blood pressure and heart disease. How much water should be taken on a daily basis to help with dry mouth in which I do experience. I will speak with my dentist about the scaling. How would I know if I am experiencing any sinus issues?

You are very welcome, Ethel.

An examination by an ear nose throat specialist (ENT) would diagnose the sinus issue and can be confirmed by a CT scan of sinuses. A water intake of about 2-2.5 liters a day or more in a 24 hours period would be recommended. Also avoid caffeine and alcohol drinks (if you take them) as they tend to dehydrate by increasing water loss from the skin. For acid reflux (GERD), following would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

It is privilege assisting you.

Please feel free for your follow up queries.

Please click excellent / good, if this interaction has been helpful and satisfactory. Only a positive rating gives us credit for the work and expertize. You can ask follow up questions, even after rating.