Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have been using extra virgin coconut oil for a while but

Customer Question

I have been using extra virgin coconut oil for a while but have recently purchased " straight " coconut oil. The latter is quite different - no coconut aroma or taste. Which is better from a health point of view and what makes them different?
Thank you, Martin
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

This is a smart question.

Customer:

OK go ahead

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you asked someone that coconut oil is better?

Customer:

OK go ahead

Dr. R. Bora :

Both the oils are almost similar regarding health benefits: only the processing is slightly different.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, the smell is different.Both the extra virgin and coconut oil is rich in anti oxidants.

Dr. R. Bora :

Extra virgin coconut oil is made through modern technology: Quick drying of fresh coconut meat which is then used to press out the oil.

Dr. R. Bora :

Wet milling is done to produce coconut oil (which is not virgin or extra virgin): With this method the oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat without drying first.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, I guess that makes the difference ...

Customer:

So no real positve or negative for either one?

Dr. R. Bora :

Moreover, the"tasteless coconut oil" can withstand higher temperatures during cooking.

Dr. R. Bora :

However, the extra virgin coconut oil is considered to be better in today's market. May be due to modern way of processing, it is gaining popularity!

Dr. R. Bora :

So, I believe you can still use the extra virgin one, since it tastes better and healthy too!!

Customer:

So for flavour use extra virgin and for high cooking temperatures ( ie frying ) use the other one?

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes. One more difference is that the extra virgin is "unrefined coconut oil" meaning that there are less added chemicals unlike the "tasteless refined coconut oil" which has slightly more chemicals used for preservation of the oil(due to processing differences).

Dr. R. Bora :

So, the bottomline is " USE the Extra virgin coconut oil" for all purposes and only the "refined tasteless cocnut oil for frying".

Customer:

Is the saturated fat content of concern - I've heard it is overblown?

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, both are rich in saturated fats but equally in unsaturated fats, the latter is less damaged during cooking with cocnut oil than other commonly used oils like sunflower, soyabean, groundnut etc.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, coconut oil is better used fr frying than other oils is general.

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Customer:

Well thank you. Now I know everything I need to know about coconut oil. Thanks again

Dr. R. Bora :

You are most welcome!

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks again.

Hope to meet you here with new question.

Hello Martin,

It was a pleasure working with you.

If you have any health issue, please contact me here st just answer with a direct question: DR. BORA.

Thanks!