Patience Paradox
Patience Paradox, Health Coach; Writer
Experience:  MA Psych/BS Health Sciences; Author on Health Topics
61840635

For Patience OKMH312211

Customer Question

I suffer from anxiety and lack of concebtration. I wonder if you know what types of treatment alternative medicines can offer me for those 2 issues. Thanks : )

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

What is your age and gender?

Stress and anxiety issues?

Associated headache,dizziness,lightheadedness?

Any medical illness?

Are you taking any medicines?

Duration of symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi.

I am 27 and a male. i am taking sertraline 100mg for anxiety. I took strattera 80 mg for a few months but didnt work for me. Sometimes I get headaches. I used to get migraines not too long ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly your symptoms can be associated with depression and anxiety issues.

And you can ask your doctor for some psychostimulant to add with sertraline.

Even your blood pressure,blood sugar levels should be checked.

Low blood pressure,low blood glucose levels can result in such symptoms.

And further blood work like CBC,ESR should be done.

You should start yoga,deep breathing exercises,meditation.

Nutritional Deficiencies may be the most common cause for lack of concentration.

Start a multivitamin supplement.

Psychotherapy,cognitive behavioural therapy can be advised.

Here are some supplements that can help concentration:
-DHA and EPA (both found in fish oils)
-SAM-e
-L-Carnosine
-Gingko Biloba
-Milk Thistle Extract

I advise to consult your doctor for further management.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you so much for the answer. however, the question was firstly directed to Patience (the specialist).

could you please opt out and let Patience know Id like her to answer?

thanks

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the Moderator for this topic. Patience is not available right now, but I have sent her a message to follow up with you here, when she comes back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience!

Camille

Expert:  Patience Paradox replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex-

It is good to hear from you again! I am sorry it took awhile to get back to you, but I was away from my desk for a few days.

I am glad to see that you are looking to push forward on your journey towards health and well-being. Onlinedoc (see above) actually made some very good suggestions about things that might be helpful for anxiety and decreased concentration. I will try to hone in on more specifics for you, though.

Individual or group therapy works well with medications and alternative approaches. I would advise finding a counselor who knows either Cognitive Therapy (CBT) or Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). They can help you make the changes needed to get back on the right track in your life. Below are some suggestion for alternatives:

TAKEN DAILY:
Good nutrition contributes greatly to good mental health. That is why taking vitamins can keep you healthy. In addition, B vitamins are helpful for energy band attention/concentration. With vitamins, you get what you pay for, so avoid off brand “bargains.” The following link is a good daily vitamin, but it is a bit spendy, since the suggested dosage is six caps/day: http://www.thorne.com/Products/Mens-Health/prd~VMX.jsp

Omega-3 fatty acids are needed nutrients found in 
fish oils. They can help stabilize moods. You can get omega-3s in a lot of different forms, but I would recommend gel caps to avoid the fishy taste.

5-HTP pills can also be used to reduce anxiety and increase levels of serotonin in the brain.

TAKEN AS NEEDED:
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) helps to calm nerves.

Other useful herbs for relaxation are Valerian and hops. They are good options for nighttime use since they may make you drowsy.

Ashwagandha is an Ayurvedic herb with relaxation and mood balancing properties.

Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus) is good for energy and concentration. Make sure to get a liquid or solid extract rather than a powdered capsule. You can often get inexpensive bottles on the pharmacy aisle of
stores in Chinatown.

Obviously, you cannot be taking everything l have listed all at once. Your best bet is to see what is in your price range, what is available, and what works best for you. Check in at your local vitamin shop or health food store and they can probably give you additional information. It would be ideal if you could consult with a naturopath ()http://www.naturopathic.org/AF_MemberDirectory.asp?version=2) or other alternative health practitioner.

HELPFUL DIY TECHNIQUES:
Learn visualization techniques to manage anxiety, such as: http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/visualization

Use self-affirmations. Change your negative self-talk to positive and self-affirming talk. See: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/redirect/201203/affirm-yourself

As usual, please rate my response and then feel free to ask any follow up questions needed. All the best to you! Patience P.
Patience Paradox, Health Coach; Writer
Experience: MA Psych/BS Health Sciences; Author on Health Topics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response Patience!

Could you recommend me good and not so expensive fish oils and 5ttp pills, as well as Siberian Ginseng?

I am currently seeing a professional who does nlp and hypnosis. He is very good. It has been working. I wonder what you think about homeopathy and acupuncture for concentration and anxiety