Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I have been taking generic parnate 10 mg for almost one years

I have been taking generic parnate 10 mg for almost one years after my psychologist trid every medications on earth ,then from my advise he he prescribed parnate ( seems like he gave death warrant ) . He told take not take 50 mg a day but Iknow low dose does not work except side effect . Without consul the. Doctor.I Increase the 120mg ( 60mg am and 60 mg ) my depression and ADDH all systems vanished within two days. When i told my dr about that.Wonderful he took credit for that! In my view parnate is the best medications in this field but I has some side effect which that bother me lot. (1) i have bad chilling effect on me . I feel very cold all time (2) no erection and no sex with my wife last 8 months ( Viagra, type medication does not work ) (3) bad constipation . Beside this very painful urination and slow and also urine leak and very difficult to control. I take one provigil 200mg in the morning dose works excellent. I am almost 65 Yates old . Please give me pertinent advice that work for me ( sorry me English not good ) thank Kazi
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Associated weight changes?

Have you undergone any blood work so far?

Duration of symptoms?

Have you discuss your current symptoms with your doctor so far?

Alcohol and smoking intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(1) my weigh remain constant from last. Year ( 175 to 180 lbs ) . (2) recently my primary physician sent report of last six month blood report where my glucose , thyroid, all the liver enzymes Are within limit. (3) my psychologist are completely aware of what am taking . (4) nosmoker and no alcohol never in my life. Now Most common. Concerns of mine . Is there any alternative of parnate that works like parnate without any sexual side effects ( no sex with my wife last one year) , Viagra. Type medication does not work. .chilling effect is little better as the. Summer arrive. And slow urination and constipation I see my urologist today. I want long story short. I mentioned earlier parnate. with one tablet provigil work in morning works excellent. . Please help me that works me . ( do not write to me in any which I already aware of it ) your advice should be better than so call corporate dr ( kaiser or others) Hope to hear your soon. . Thanks. Kazi
My
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

This has only been approved for major depressive disorder and is used only as a last resort after conventional antidepressants have been tried without success since it has numerous and very severe side effects. In fact, it was withdrawn from the market in February 1964 due to a number of patient deaths involving hypertensive crises with intracranial bleeding.

The main concern with this drug is the fact that it is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. MAOIs are currently very limited, due to their significant potential for adverse effects, many interactions, and the availability of newer and safer (although not necessarily more efficacious) antidepressants.

You MUST be VERY careful of foods that contain tyramine as hypertensive crisis will result. Foods such as aged cheeses, cured meats, tofu and certain red wines are the most dangerous. Some, such as yeast extracts, contain enough tyramine to be potentially fatal in a single serving.

The usual effective dosage is 30 mg per day, usually given in divided doses. If there are no signs of improvement after a reasonable period (up to 2 weeks), then the dosage may be increased in 10 mg per day increments at intervals of 1 to 3 weeks; the dosage range may be extended to a maximum of 60 mg per day from the usual 30 mg per day.

Patients may experience restlessness or insomnia; may notice some weakness, drowsiness, episodes of dizziness or dry mouth; or may report nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or constipation. Most of these effects can be relieved by lowering the dosage or by giving suitable concomitant medication.

Tachycardia, significant anorexia, edema, palpitation, blurred vision, chills, and impotence have each been reported.

Headaches without blood pressure elevation have occurred.

Rare instances of hepatitis, skin rash, and alopecia have been reported.

Impaired water excretion compatible with the syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) has been reported.

Tinnitus, muscle spasm, tremors, myoclonic jerks, numbness, paresthesia, urinary retention, and retarded ejaculation have been reported.

Hematologic disorders including anemia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, and thrombocytopenia have been reported.

Localized scleroderma, flare-up of cystic acne, ataxia, confusion, disorientation, memory loss, urinary frequency, urinary incontinence, urticaria, fissuring in corner of mouth, akinesia.

Sexual dysfunction happens with the vast majority of parnate users and returns to normal with discontinuation of the medication. Unfortunately there is little you can do to resolve this given the way the drug works. Urinary incontinence and constipation are also the norm with this drug.

What you can do to help with the constipation is drink lots of fluid (especially water), limit caffeine drinks like tea and coffee. Also, increase your fiber intake with raw vegetables or even a daily fiber supplement like metamucil.

To help reduce urinary incontinence you can perform exercises called "Kegel Exercises" that will strengthen the pelvic muscles. http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/urinary-incontinence-kegel-exercises-for-pelvic-muscles

The last thing that will help is to get plenty of exercise which will help with all of the symptoms you indicate and also help elevate mood.

I hope you have found this information useful. If you need further information please just ask.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to read my reply?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you intend to leave a poor service rating before the Q&A session ended without any response back from you? Keep in mind that poor ratings hurt experts greatly. I would be happy to give additional information if you need it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All informations got from your are easily available in any standard pharmacology book and book,like fact and comparison . Those informations nothing new to me . I thought your advice would little different from other ( sorry that is my mistake) . In my view parnate is the medication work best in resistant depression and ADHD where other medications miserably failed and it action is very quick and stable . Sorry I do not mean to stop payment for this aforesaid reply . Please. Let me know how can I help you about that. I will change it if.necessary Thanks. Kazi
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that you do not agree with the literature but it does have serious consequences if it is not carefully monitored. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you can find a way to deal with the side effects. Experts do not get credit unless good or great service is selected.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.