Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My wife has not had a bowel movement in 4 days, laxatives and

My wife has not had a bowel movement in 4 days, laxatives and suppositories are not working
Welcome and thanks for your question , if nothing has worked until now including laxatives and suppositories .

She needs to see a doctor immediately to find out what specific condition is producing her symptoms.

Although most patients who do not have proper bowel movements are caused by benign conditions including an inadequate diet with low contents of fiber,lack of exercise or aging .

There are other more serious conditions from : hard or impacted stools in the rectum ( in the hospital they can use an oil enema ,in other cases manual removal is necessary ,this is the most common condition why patients do not have bowel movements for days ) , bowel blockage ,internal bowel masses, hormonal disorders including low thyroid blood levels, neurological disorders, irritable bowel syndrome ( in this condition , the bowel muscle walls react irregularly to neural stimulation), diverticulitis ( these are outpouches in the colon walls where food residues could accumulate and build up ,producing inflammation and obstruction ), anal fissures, hemorrhoids ,dehydration and/or medication side effects ( specially pain medication ,anticholinergics ,antidepressants ,medications to treat parkinson or psychosis , blood pressure medications,diuretics and overuse of laxatives ) .

She needs to see a doctor immediately , the accumulation of stools in the body could produce serious complications specially infections .

The doctors will give her an enema to see if that works, if that does not work they will remove the hard stools manually .

They will perform additional tests to determine if there is any medical condition producing her symptoms including : bowel X-rays , blood and stool tests , hormonal tests ( including thyroid blood levels ) and a colonoscopy if it is necessary .

With these tests , a complete physical and medical history , her doctors will able to determine what is producing her symptoms and give her a more appropriate and definitive treatment.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.