Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have noticed after i eat there is a little odor in the room

I have noticed after i eat there is a little odor in the room after eating. It is a strong smell of the food I have eaten. However now that I am on antibotics the room does not smell after I eat, would that indicate there is something wrong with my digestive system? Eg Leaky gut or Candida?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Greetings Mary.

The strong smell of the food eaten after the meals can be due to sinusitis or food reflux (termed as gastroesophageal reflux disease / GERD). Sometimes both the conditions are concomitant. Antibiotic course benefiting the symptoms further substantiate sinusitis. GERD many times can cause sinusitis when it is severe. For acid reflux (GERD), following would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is Gerd and sinusitis? Is there a cure.

I have an endoscopy next week, will it pick any of this up?

Hello Mary,

The upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (which is camera exam of stomach) will pick up GERD, also called as acid reflux. In this, food and stomach acid may come to food pipe or even throat. The acid in throat causes sinusitis. The sinuses are hollow structures in the bones behind the nose which helps in the aeration of the nose. Infection and inflammation of the sinus is called sinusitis. GERD and sinusitis are easily treatable. GERD is treated as following;

1) antacids; Maalox, Digene

2) acid blocker; Prilosec, Omeprazole

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for sinusitis. Some physician may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.
2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.
3) Topical decongestant for short duration.
4) Antihistamines
5) Steam vaporizer
6) Eucalyptus oil may help
7) Nasal saline irrigation
8) Vitamin C
9) Antibiotics.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.
2) Ginkgo Biloba
3) Zinc 30 mg.

GERD, has increasingly been implicated in causing or exacerbating chronic sinusitis. The exact relationships and mechanisms are presently a matter of speculation, though.

Consulting an ENT (ear, nose throat) specialist would be prudent.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the in depth answer.

Lastly if it was leaky gut would an sidmoscopy have picked that up? Also Candidasis cause food smells

With Gerd would I have to cut ot pasta, chocolate, white bread all together, as in completely of of diet?

You are most welcome, Mary.

Candidiasis may cause food smell but usually it would not respond to the antibiotics. Anti yeast / anti fungal medications are given to treat candidiasis. A sigmoidoscopy would pick up the leaky gut. Pasta, chocolates and white bread have to cut down significantly initially to get better. Later on, when symptoms are resolved; these items can be eaten in moderate amount.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you much appreciated

You are most welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I had the endoscopy done and nothing was found all is well. No Hyplori was present. Would the procedure spot any other form of bacteria such as candida?

Hell and welcome Mary,

Endoscopy would have found the candida. So a normal endoscopy would rule it out. You may consider getting a test for H. Pylori called as breath test. The other helpful investigations are;

1) 24 hours pH monitoring of esophagus (food pipe)
2) Esophageal manometry (pressure study of food pipe).
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

H. Pylori called as breath test?? Could it be in my mouth and not in my stomach and stool.

Do you know much about tmau?

what would monitoring of the below show

Hello Mary,

The H. Pylori in the stomach form a tiny amount a specific gas which can be detected by the breath test.

The 24 hours pH monitoring and manometry show the amount of acid production and are done when endoscopy is not able to detect the changes. These give an objective assessment of the acid reflux on the food pipe which can be responsible for the odor.

Bad mouth odor can rarely be due to;

1) amino acid metabolism;
a) phenylketonuria,
b) trimethylaminuria (TMAU or fish odor syndrome),
c) hypermethioninemia.

2) diseases like gout, scurvy
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

H. Pylori called as breath test i dont think I can get that done on the NHS, so do recommend any herbal remedies to get rid of mouth odor.

Following herbs may help;

1) Cardamon
2) Peppermint
3) Herbs which also can freshen the breath are; rosemary, parsley, spearmint, or tarragon, chewing up to a minute.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)