Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

So I had sex with this guy. He used a condom. But I gave him

So I had sex with this guy. He used a condom. But I gave him oral sex without the condom. I didn't shower immediately after we had sex. I went home, slept for 4 hours, and took a shower. After the shower, I got a tingling, burning feeling on my lips. I was so scared, and went on google only to find out it could be oral herpes. Fml! So we had sex last Thursday night, and got the tingling feeling Friday morning. I bought Abreva and used it on Monday (3 days later). My lips felt dry before I used the Abreva. Its one week later(Friday) and I still have the burning feeling, but it has moved down to my jaw. No cold sores yet, so I'm wondering if the Abreva stopped the cold sores from forming. I used the Abreva only 5 times. I asked the guy, and he denies he has herpes. I'm so worried and I want to get tested in 3 months time for an accurate result. Do you think this could be oral herpes or what else could it be? I'm just hoping I did not get genital herpes from him too. I've never had cold sores in the past.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Can you see any lesion or soreness on your lips?

Do you history of any other STD in past?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No soreness or lesions yet. Just the tingling and burning sensation. Although the dayafter the sexual encounter I travelled to new york for 5 days, and my lips felt dry and a bit chapped. But I applied the Abreva on Sunday night, and the dryness was gone the next morning. I've never had any STDs in the past, and this was my first sexual experience, so its a bit upsetting that this happens after my first time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm black, does that have anything to do with the mildness of the symptoms and and why the sores haven't appeared yet (in reference to more melanin pigment in black people). The pictures I've seen on google look scary and most of the pictures are of caucasians. If its oral herpes, will I get sores like that or will it be milder? I'm hoping its not herpes.

Dear customer,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,the symptoms you have described can be due to oral herpes/cold sores.Cold sores generally clear up without treatment in seven to 10 days.Herpes is most easily
spread when a sore is present, but, it is also often spread at other times too.

Another less likely cause of your symptom can be fungal or bacterial infection.

Abreva contains docosanol.It is very effective and works by blocking the virus that causes cold sores from entering the skin.it is approved by the FDA to shorten healing time and duration of herpes symptoms.As you have applied abreva,it may have become milder or less severe.

Although these over the counter medications will help you greatly but for complete treatment but you need prescription medications,for which you have to consult your doctor.

As there is great possibility that this can be due to oral herpes,I advice you to consult your doctor for the examination & oral anti viral medication may be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. So the burning on my tongue lasted for more than 3 weeks, but no sores. I just had dry lips and little cracks. I read online about condom not protecting 100% from genital herpes, and I had sex with a condom with my partner. I felt fine down under, only the tingling feeling on my lips, but 2 weeks after my exposure I started questioning if I had also contracted genital herpes from that encounter even though we used a condom, cos I suspect I got the cold sores during oral sex with him. So with all the worrying, I felt irritated with myself and got whole body itching, its a bit mild but its all over my body. And I felt like my vagina was abit swollen. This all started after I started worrying. And I made a huge mistake of meeting up with the same guy 3 days ago. We didn't have sex but he fingered me and I gave him oral sex(stupid of me). I avoided sex but his penis may have touched my private area a few times. And now i'm feeling a mild itching in my vaginal area and also in my butt area, but I alsi have itching on other parts of my body. But I'm also worrying myself to death so I'm wondering if its all related. I took pictures of my vaginal area but I can't see any blisters or vesicles. I saw a little dryness and something that looks loke eczema. I suffer from eczema so I'm thinking that could be it. Please help because I'm hoping its not genital herpers. Are my mind and body playing games with me ir are these real symptoms?
Dear customer,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Condoms do not provide complete protection.It is true fact that condoms do not protect you 100% from genital herpes or other STD.

As you met the same guy again & his penis touched your vagina few times,it is quite possible that he might have transmitted genital herpes or other STD.

There does not seem to be any clear symptoms(as described by you) that directs towards genital herpes.So it is difficult to say online without physical & clinical examination.

As you said that your vagina has eczema like lesion,so I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for the tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. So I went for some blood tests last week. my hsv 1 came out positive and they said it was >5.00a , and hsv 2 came out negative with <0.90.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started having vaginal itching last tuesday. I went in on wednesday and the nurse said there were no sores. She tested for bv and trichomonas and it came out negative. The itching continued and I panicked that it might be herpes. So I read up online where they said to keep the area clean and dry. So I kept washing and used a hair dryer to dry the area, and I also soaked my self in the bathtub about 3 times. The itching did not stop and I started feeling a little pain. I went in this monday for another visit and the nurse practitioner examined me and said she did not see any sores, but that the area looked chaffed and dry. Seemed like I irritated the area with the constant washing and drying. She gave me a cream Clobetasol propionate ointment. It made it better, thhe itching is gone but I still have a whitish a bit yellow discharge, more of white, it doesn't have a bad smell. I think the constamt applying of the ointment has irritated the area more cos its painful now. I have to apply the cram twice a day and have to wash and dry the area before applying it. I'm thinking all that is irritating it more. The area was painful last night but I noticed when I wore a particular shorts, the pain wasn't there. I'm scared that the hsv 1 might be affecting both my mouth and genital region. Is that possible? The sexual encounter that caused all this a condom was used, only the oral sex that was unprotected. 3 days before the itching started, the same partner fingered me, but we didn't have sex, so I'm qondering if its the fingering that brought on this vaginal itching and discomfort?
Dear customer,

Genital herpes is usually caused by HSV-2,oral herpes is usually caused by HSV-1.

However, genital herpes can occasionally also be caused by HSV-1.A partner having HSV-1 infection can transmit this virus to genitals resulting in genital herpes.

Swelling & soreness of vagina is called vaginitis that is inflammation of the vagina.

Non infectious causes are:vaginal dryness,hormonal changes,vaginal sprays, douches,soaps, detergents, or fabric softeners.If you know that any such product is causing this,stop using it.Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID's) such as ibuprofen 400mg from your counter.It will reduce the inflammation & pain.This is available without prescription.

Use only water and no soap on the vulva and avoid pads.Use tampons to prevent vaginal discharge. Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.

Apply OTC ointment vagmycin vaginal cream.It is a broad spectrum antibiotic with an anti-fungal agent.

Antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly by your doctor.

Hope this helped

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles