Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Hi. Sore throat since Sunday. Cough started yesterday. No voice

Hi. Sore throat since Sunday. Cough started yesterday. No voice today. Throat feels a little better but still sore more from coughing. Mild fever. Taking Motrin and have worked all week. Feel pretty wrung out so I'm planning on tea and rest tomorrow. Anything else I should try or watch for? Thank you
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you noticed red and swollen tonsils ?
Do you have swollen, tender lymph nodes in neck ?
Do you have associated fever or throat pain?
Do you have difficulty in swallowing?
Do you have breathing discomfort?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes tonsils are red and had white spots on them until today. Lymph nodes normal. Throat pain on swallowing yes since Sunday. Better today. Mild fever. No breathing discomfort
Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, your symptoms- Red tonsils, Throat pain on swallowing, Mild fever can occur with strep throat infection.
Strep throat is diagnosed by physical examination and through lab tests. Your doctor would probably use a tongue depressor to get a good look at the throat and tonsils.You may be advised a Rapid antigen test by a swab sample. It can detect strep bacteria in minutes.
If you test positive for strep bacteria, then antibiotic treatment can begin right away.
Kindly follow these home measures-

1. You need to gargle with hot, saline water - you can mix two teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
2. You can go for steam inhalation - Take a bowl of hot water, and put two tsf of salt in it. You can also put menthol in it if you have some. Inhale the steam that rises from the water.
3. You should drink a glass of warm lemon juice daily.
4. You can suck on hard sweets - the saliva trickling down the throat will be soothing.

I suggest you to follow above measures, and consult your doctor further for evaluation.
I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.