Bed rest or minimal activity would be advised. Following too would be recommended;
1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:
a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.
b) Rest intermittently
c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees
d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides
f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing
g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor
Following measures would help;
2) Back brace; lumbosacral corset
3) Deep electrotherapy; short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation
5) Physical therapy.
Commonly used medications are;
1) amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep),
2) nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor)
3) desipramine (Norpramin)
4) pregabalin (Lyrica)
5) phenytoin (Dilantin)
6) carbamazepine (Tegretol)
7) venlafaxine (Effexor)
8) duloxetine (Cymbalta)
For the local application; Capsaicin, an extract of chili peppers, when applied topically, has been demonstrated to relieve pain by affecting sensory fibers.
Other supplements and alternative integrative therapy protocols are;
1) Evening primrose oil
3) Alpha-lipoic acid
4) Benfotiamine (Milgamma), 100 mg, is a lipid-soluble vitamin B1 analogue
5) Vitamin E
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."
Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.