Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

do people randomly get dvt with absolutely no risk factors

do people randomly get dvt with absolutely no risk factors attached. I.e. I am 27 male, healthy, no flights, no other risk factors and have been checked for clotting and it is normal

Hi--are you saying you're just curious about this or has there been a problem in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only problem in the past was that I had an undiagnosed anxiety problem with obsessive thoughts about dvt. I am working on trying to get them under control. I have never had dvt. I am worried about it, I woke up this morning and have a pain right above my ankle on the outside of my leg. Like I said before, I have no signs apart from lower leg pain. Not taken a flight in over 3 months, don't smoke, not overweight, not drank alcohol in a long time.

OK--what did you mean you had been checked for clotting? Are you seeing a therapist for your OCD and the anxiety? Any swelling of the ankle or leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am seeing a therapist, when I was worried I had dvt a long time ago(3 months ago) they did a d dimer and said it was normal and my blood clotted properly

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no swelling of ankle or leg I don't think

OK--and we can continue after this if you need to but the simple answer is no, with absolutely no risk factors people don't get DVT's. There is something called Leiden factor V disorder which can be checked for with blood work that is a rare disorder that can cause DVT's with no other risk factor. As for your description of what's going on now, that isn't consistent with a DVT where there's swelling of the foot, ankle, or, more often the lower leg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what can cause these random pains in my leg just above my ankle? It is across the muscle is feels like

Any tenderness there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it feels a bit tender when i press on the muscle

Where exactly and does this only happen in the one leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

right above my ankle on the side of the shin, its mainly one but both feel a bit tender

You mean basically on the shin bone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK--this sounds like shin splints, also know as tibial periostitis. Usually seen in runners but can occur with anyone. Definitely not DVT's. This usually responds to ibuprofen, heat, and not running for a few days if you do run.