Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have blood in my urine. Are the results of necessary tests

I have blood in my urine. Are the results of necessary tests always bad news?

Hello Corinne,

No, it is not a bad news always. There are many diagnosis which have excellent prognosis which causes blood in urine. These are;

1) urinary tract infection.
2) stone disease
3) obstruction of the urinary tract.
4) bladder diverticulum.
5) benign tumors
6) medical disorders of the kidneys (sickle cell disease).
Read the resource; Urine culture and an ultrasound are the first investigative protocol. Intravenous pyelography, CT scan, cystoscopy, etc may be followed depending on the initial investigative results. The investigation of hematuria begins with a search for bacteruria (bacteria in urine) or pyuria (pus in urine). If either is present, a urine culture should be ordered to confirm urinary tract infection (UTI). In the absence of infection, the next step is to distinguish glomerular and nonglomerular sources of hematuria. Following would be required in step wise fashion; 1) Intravenous pyelography 2) Multidetector CT urography 3) Cystoscopy (camera examination)
Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.