Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am woken up around 3 am nightly in a hot sweat with my heart

Customer Question

I am woken up around 3 am nightly in a hot sweat with my heart pounding. I go to the toilet, and wait until I have bowel movement, at which point the heart stops racing, although I sometimes still feel nauseous which keeps me from going back to sleep. I have been diagnosed with IBS, but none of the doctors I have spoken to have come up with an answer to the nightly bowel movement.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.

What is your age?
Since when are your symptoms?
Are you on any medications / herbs?
Any significant past medical history?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm 57. I had something similar a few years ago -waking up with knife like stomach cramps nightly. that was solved by drinking linden flower tea and taking vitamin B12. That doesn't work anymore however. I have tried other stomach soothing herbs, but that doesn't seem to help this problem.

As I child of ten, I had a stomach ulcer.

I was a vegetarian for 30 years (20 to 50) but then discovered that I needed to eat meat - which solved a lot of my problems. This latest problem has been around for about a year or so, but has become nightly in the last few weeks.

With your symptoms one should rule out carcinoid tumor. This can be benign (non cancerous). You may get following investigations done;

1) 5 HIAA level in urine
2) Blood serotonin
3) CT scan of chest and abdomen
4) Echocardiogram.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did have a lot of blood and urine tests as well as scans this summer - but nothing showed up. Shall I send you the results?

Yes, please send me the results.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also had a stomach x-ray, which showed nothing unusual.

A stomach (abdominal) and chest CT or an MRI is the most important investigations for the diagnosis. The blood tests like serotonin and 5-HIAA (especially during the symptoms) may also clinch the diagnosis.

It is privilege assisting you
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have solved the problem by eliminating dairy products from my diet. I would suggest that you look at this website before you continue diagnosing cancer to folks who have digestive problems:

www.dadamo.com

Hello and welcome, Madam.

I am so happy for you that you have been able to solve the problem in 4 days by the dietary measures. I would like to make an humble submission. We can be wrong here because we go by just the information which are provided in the symptom forms. Investigations and physical examination are not available to us. This is information site. Secondly, carcinoid is non cancerous many times (called as benign as we discussed) and release chemicals in the body which may cause the symptoms. Carcinoid may not be cancerous.

I wish you all the very best in life.

Thanks for taking time for the update and following this. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes and kindest regards,