Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I have had a "different" sounding voice for at least 2 months

I have had a "different" sounding voice for at least 2 months now. I am 38, non-smoker, and my question is: my voice has seemed to change and I struggle with speaking at times. I also sing, not professionally, just at weddings and with my students at school (I am a teacher), but sometimes especially when trying to hit a high note, my voice "goes out". I feel like there has been something in my throat so I took a pic with my cell phone camera to look for myself. I want to share it so someone could see, but I feel like a crazy nut trying to explain this! Under the front of that flap (epiglottis) in the bottom of my tongue is a white sac on the left side only- it's about 2cm and has tiny veins in it. Could this be something that would cause my voice to change for months?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have any other known medical illness?
Were you ever tested for thyroid function test?
Is there soreness in throat?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other known illness- yes, I had a thyroid panel done in January because of chronic fatigue, but nothing was abnormal. There is no major soreness, just off and on from post nasal stuff. But I have noticed that when I swallow a pill that I feel like it get stuck often. Other than that, no other problem. Could I send you the picture I took?
Dear Shannon,

Yes,you can send the picture so that I can look it for the better diagnosis.
You can attach the picture in 'tools'.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me find the "tools" section? I am on my mobile device.
Dear Shannon,

You can find a "attach a photo" tool near your reply button or in the tool section at top of answer.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but I am not seeing that option anywhere on my screen. Is it possible that feature is for those who subscribe on a monthly basis? Also, sometimes a mobile web site doesn't have all the features of a desktop. Either way, it's not showing up on here. Is there any another way to send a picture?
Dear Shannon

I am sorry that you are unable to find the option of attaching the photo.May be it is available only from desktop as you said.You can contact the moderators/customer care of just answer for confirmation/clarification.

I had already started working on your question.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The white sac you have described can be due to a wart.Another possibility is of a yeast infection known as thrush (oral candidiasis).Small amounts of the candida fungus are present in the mouth of most healthy people.Certain illnesses, stress, medications or certain conditions can disturb the delicate balance, causing the yeast to grow out of control, causing infection in the mouth.

Other common causes of change in voice/different voice are:benign vocal cord nodules or polyps, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPRD),Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD),inhalation of irritants/smoking,thyroid disorders,certain neurological condition.

You need following tests:

-Laryngoscopy
-Throat culture
-Throat examination with a small mirror
-Videotaping or stroboscopy (slow-motion assessment)
-X-ray neck

Otolaryngologist is the specialized doctor to whom you need to consult.Treatment will then be done accordingly.Voice rest may be recommended in order to avoid further irritation or injury to the vocal cords.

Humidify your home.Avoid actions that strain the vocal cords such as whispering, shouting, crying, and singing.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forwarded a reply to the help desk for just answer, regarding m issues with uploading my picture. I was told that I could send my picture to them and they would be sure that you got it. I understand that you cannot diagnose a condition, but part of what I was trying to do was get an opinion regarding the white sac with small veins were in the from part of my epiglottis. I did send the picture to the technician who assisted me with the uploading issues, as he instructed me to. Can you check to see if you have received it via email?

Dear Shannon

Thank you for uploading the picture.

Yes,I have got the picture via email by the moderators.I have seen your picture closely.

The white sac seen in the picture seems most probably due to wart.Also the possibility of fungal infection should be ruled out.Also this can be a nodule or a polyp.

Although there does not seem to be anything serious about this white sac.Treatment can only be done after confirmation of exact cause.

Again,avoid actions that strain the vocal cords such as whispering, shouting, crying, and singing.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical
examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these
tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be
done accordingly.

Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Shannon

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted otolaryngologist?
What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles