Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Reason for brain atrophy?

I was recently told by a neurologist that my brain is shrinking and that my brain looked more consistent with a 60-70 year old than a 30 something year old. This was not the only information that I received from the neurologist at that time but after getting home from my visit I became very concerned about this particular issue. Is there a reason why a 37 year old female could have atrophy of the brain on this scale? Thank you for your assistance.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for very long.

Following are the common causes of brain atrophy;

1) Vitamin B 12 deficiency.
2) Excessive alcohol
3) Stroke
4) Injury to brain
5) Infectious diseases
6) Huntington’s disease,
7) Corticobasal degeneration,
8) Posterior cortical atrophy,
9) Multiple system atrophy
10) Progressive supranuclear palsy.

11) Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism

12) Hypernatremia (increased sodium)

13) Cerebrovascular disease

14) Depression

Apart from MRI, a proton MR spectroscopy would be able to ascertain the cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been scheduled for an MRI, EEG, and a neuropsychological test. Will these tests be able to determine the reason for this brain atrophy? Also, I feel I should mention that I sustained a mild concussion approximately two and half years ago when I was hit in the back of the head with a large wooden board and diagnosed with post concussive syndrome. Could that have caused this problem? Thank you for your assistance.

You are very welcome.

Yes, these test are likely to point to the cause. You may ask your doctor to get the blood levels of Vitamin B12 also done. A traumatic brain injury can be a concomitant cause, but there should be something more, being responsible for it.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question. Is this something that I could have been "born with?"

Some very rare genetic disorders may be associated but they would have given other symptoms like cognitive disorders.