Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have endometrial cancer. I went overseas to do treatments.

I have endometrial cancer. I went overseas to do treatments. I came home with shots I am supposed to give myself. I have small bottles with thymus peptide in them. I have the part of the apparatus you put the liquid in and the needle part (each in separate packages. I had 8 of these I was supposed to do.
Before I left the nurse there showed me where and how to do the shot. She did not show me how to put the pieces together and put the fluid in to give the shot.
I opened the box with the stuff in it this morning to give myself the shot. I had no trouble putting the needle part on the part where the fluid and pusher are. I was careful not to touch the needle part after I took its lid off. I swabed myself off with the alcohol swab I had bought.
Then I flipped the lid off the bottle with the liquid in it and punched the needle through the top. So far so good.
Somehow I ended up with bubbles in the liquid in the bottom (not needle) part. I put the needle back in and tried again - several times. I couldn't get the bubbles all out. I didn't think bubbles should be in it.
I decided to start over even though I would be one short now. But I ended up with bubbles in it when I pulled the needle out of the bottle. I realized I must be letting the needle come out of the liquid in the bottle while I was drawing it up. So I put it back in and shot it all out and tried again several times. Now it looks like there are no bubbles.

Question: Is it safe to use? What would happen if I shot a bubble into me? Should I dump this one too, and have lost 2 of the 8 of these things and start over? What are the correct directions for getting the liquid into the needle?

Thanks

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

First you put the needle on the syringe.

mysticdoc :

The correct technique will be:

mysticdoc :

Then you insert the needle in the bottle through the lid.

mysticdoc :

Then you should draw in the liquid in the syringe.

mysticdoc :

Now there may be bubbles in the liquid within the syringe.

mysticdoc :

This can be eliminated by gently stroking the syringe.

mysticdoc :

Once the bubbles come up and liquid below, you can push out the air bubbles.

mysticdoc :

Now even if you get few bubbles inside your vein, that will not cause any problem since the size is tiny.

mysticdoc :

This is safe to use as long as you are keeping them sterile.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

I put the needle lid back on the second one I tried. Is that sufficient to keep it sterile? That was about 5-10 minutes ago.

mysticdoc :

yes it is if you did not touch the needle and cleaned the bottle lid with alocohol wipes.

mysticdoc :

alcohol wipes--correction.

Customer:

No, I didn't clean the second bottle lid. I had done so on the first one and thought maybe that was wrong and why I got the bubbles.

mysticdoc :

no you should clean the lid every time before using it.

Customer:

So could I use the first bottle? The liquid is back in there and did clean that lid before I used it. But I might have put it back in and drawn it out a second time. So would that mess that one up too?

mysticdoc :

yes you can use that

mysticdoc :

should not be a problem.

Customer:

thanks so much