Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Can a human take a Doxycycline prescription that was prescribed

Customer Question

Can a human take a Doxycycline prescription that was prescribed for a dog?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The medications produced for pets or livestock and intended to be mixed with feed may not undergo the same level of manufacturing scrutiny by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as human drugs do.

These medications/antibiotics may have more impurities that don't represent a health concern for the animals, but could for human.Pills destined for animal use may also contain specific additives.

Also self diagnosis & self medication should be avoided.

The self-diagnosis may not be correct. The antibiotic(doxycycline) may not be the correct one to treat the infection or the dose may not be correct.

So I advice you to consult your doctor for examination & then take the treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles