Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I have an electric current running through my body which seems

I have an electric current running through my body which seems to stem from the middle of my body, but radiates through my limbs, up to my neck and head, and makes me feel panicky and disorientated. I have no visible shaking, but i feel as if I am shaking all over.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

When did this feeling start?

Customer:

i have it intermittently, and have had ithis for a while. But this latest attack started 30 minutes ago.

Dr. Saha :

Do you feel it in both legs & arms?

Customer:

it is mostly on my right side ...but the vibration is through my whole bady and both arms and legs and my head

Dr. Saha :

Is it continuing for the last 30 minutes?

Customer:

i think i am also in the middle of a panic attack because of it

Customer:

yes

Dr. Saha :

Did you have any previous illness?

Dr. Saha :

Any anxiety or stress?

Customer:

a little. a had a slightly questionable ECG a while back, but haven't had results analysed properly yet

Customer:

i have had anxiety for a long time ...but it hasn't manifested quite like this before

Dr. Saha :

How is your blood pressure? pulse now?

Customer:

pulse is quite high, but not really racing. not sure about blood pressure. traditionally it has been ok.

Dr. Saha :

This can be due to anxiety state or stress. But when the pulse is quite high for 30 minutes & you had questionable ECG before, I would suggest to take an examination in ER.

Customer:

pulse is around 100 bpm at the moment

Dr. Saha :

You need to take a repeat ECG & check for any arrhythmia or irregular heart rhythm.

Dr. Saha :

Anxiety or stress can also raise pulse.

Customer:

ok ...i =had an echocardiogram last week ...but no results yet

Customer:

i have had this before ...but this is a more extreme attack

Dr. Saha :

If it is only from anxiety or stress, you need medicine to calm it.

Dr. Saha :

These are prescription drugs.

Customer:

i am not on medication ....the trigger for these incidents seem fairly random

Dr. Saha :

So you need an examination by doctor first.

Customer:

ok, i think i will try to get to my emergency room

Dr. Saha :

You may need to continue medicine for some time to prevent attacks.

Dr. Saha :

Yes, please try to get to emergency room.

Customer:

but this didn't feel like one of my usual panic attacks ...i have been having head zaps and head pains in recent days, plus a milder version of what just happened

Dr. Saha :

The intensity of attacks can vary. At the same time you need to check for heart issues too.
Customer:

my pulse is down to around 88 now

Dr. Saha :

Are you feeling better now?

Dr. Saha :

88 is within normal range.

Customer:

a little ...but the electricity is still there and my head doesn't feel great ...plus, i am very tense because of this attack ...i am alone and my nearest ER is 25 miles away

Dr. Saha :

How is your pulse rate normally?

Customer:

pulse rate is usually within normal range . it sometim es pushes the around 100, but usually not for very long. generally it is OK. It has gone down to 77 now. I feel less panicky, but still very much on edge

Customer:

everything seems to stem from the middle of my body

Customer:

i generally have strange sensation in the right side of my head, body, arms, shoulders leg etc ...no discernible weakness

Dr. Saha :

When did these episodes start first? Did you consult doctor before for this sort of attacks? Why did you have ECG?

Customer:

i have been having this right-sided feeling for a few years, on and off. I consulted my doctor in october about it. he did extensive blood tests, which showed nothing obvious. the ecg was a part of that particular health check, but it showed a slight abnormality, which he didn't feel was very urgent

Customer:

he also did the usual GP neuro tests ...which again showed nothing obvious

Dr. Saha :

Do you feel any tremor of hands or feet?

Customer:

i realise that this is stuff for my own doctor ...that is difficult to help remotely ...but i am looking for some sort of insight into this because conventional route seems to yield very little ...but this is a real and recurrent problem

Customer:

i get an occasional shake in my hands ...but mostly i have an inner tremor, which is not visible

Dr. Saha :

Usually neurological conditions cause some weakness, involuntary movement, loss of sensation, seizure etc.

Dr. Saha :

But from your symptoms it seems those are absent.

Customer:

can't say that any of that really applies to me ...there seems to be no weakness, occasional involuntary movement, no loss of sensation, and no seizure

Dr. Saha :

Still you can consult a neurologist for an evaluation.

Dr. Saha :

He can suggest tests like CT or MRI, if he feels so.

Customer:

my GP has suggested this, but i seem to be a non-urgent case ...so there is a long wait for an appointment ...meanwhile i have these very distressing incidents to deal with

Dr. Saha :

Till you can see neurologist, your GP can prescribe anti anxiety medications after a fresh examination.

Customer:

OK, thanks. I had to get in touch with someone because i felt i was in an emergency situation 30 minutes ago. things have quietened down now ...but i have a feeling of a fresh attack impending. but i will wait and see whether an ER vis=t is necessary ..or maybe it was just a severe panic attack

Customer:

thank you for your input

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Customer:

thanks. have a good day.

Dr. Saha :

Please get an examination again.

Dr. Saha :
If you are satisfied with the answer, please leave an excellent rating..

Good luck.

Customer:

ok, i will. thanks

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience