Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I was hoping someone could help me. My bestfriend is suffering

I was hoping someone could help me. My bestfriend is suffering from a huge fatty deposity on her liver the size of half a grapefruit. she had several of them on her liver which was causing so much pain and making her stomach swell up like a balloon she is currently on lithium for bipolar. she has been to the doctors and they did a CT scan, told her because of her meds they could not do surgery is there any medication herbal or vitamin she can take that wont counteract with the lithium to help her liver and make the pain go away? please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

What is the exact diagnosis given for her liver problem?

Is it fatty liver?

A tumor?

What are her predominant symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They said it was several fatty deposits that grew together forming a mass. she has been suffering from extreme pain in her left side with a huge bump on the exterior. Her symptoms are browish colored urine with flu like symtoms that seem to get worse when she eats. she has tried milk thistle pills but they counter act with her medication so she can not take them the pain is sharp she says and consistent she is unable to sleep. She also does not know what to eat so that the pain does not get worse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she does not drink alcohol either her primary doctor ruled out that sending her for more bloodwork today. the ct scan showed that these fatty deposits got bigger and grew together some how. She does not exercise much but is very active on the go. This is the second time she has been in a great deal of pain and the doctor said she has to wait it out and eat better for now... she is impatient and I am really scared for her.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
And what about her liver function tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am unsure what the results were from those tests. She never devolged that information

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

That is very important to know if these masses are causing deterioration in liver function or not.

I say this because if the liver function is affected adversely, then most likely the "mass" need to be removed surgically.

If the liver functions are fine, then a watchful monitoring can be planned to see how this mass behaves with time.

I was wondering if this was fatty liver, but there are no masses in this situation, rather it represents the deposition of fats with in liver cells, diffusely, not as a mass.

At this point, this mass should be biopsied to be exactly sure about its etiology.

There are many other focal fat containing lesions with in the liver such as focal nodular hyperplasia, lipoma, angiomyolipoma, hepatic adrenal rest tumor, pseudolipoma of the Glisson capsule, and xanthomatous lesions etc.

Unless the lesion she has is exactly identified, further course of treatment can not planned precisely.

At this point, she should get back to her doctor, discuss the details i have mentioned, and ask for a specific diagnosis which will make the situation clear, and will help to chalk out further management plan that suits best to her needs.

Right now, avoiding fats and spices will be helpful.

Daily exercise.

And if this mass represent only a focal or geographic fatty change, then weight reduction is the best treatment that can help her (diet control, exercise and drugs)..

Drugs that can be used for weight loss include xenical, belviq or qsymia.

Discuss these details with her doctor.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties