Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My 4 year old daughter has had recurrent vaginal redness and

My 4 year old daughter has had recurrent vaginal redness and itchiness for about a year now. She's gone through yeast infection creams, two rounds of amoxicilan, and diaper rash creams with no help. I don't use any bubble bath, only use Dove unscented soap, wash her clothes with Ivory snow. Everything I can think of. So finally today her vaginal culture came back and was positive for staphylococcus aureus. My doctor is not very helpful at all so I was wondering what are the implications since she's had this for like a year? Will there be permanent damage? And will this now be something she's plagued with for life or will these new antibiotics (Novo-Lexin) clear it up and we'll be done with it once and for all?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

There should not be any long lasting implications from this infection, and now that she is on the proper antibiotics it should be treated permanently

Dr Brims :

Since she is so young , her cells still regenerate quickly

Dr Brims :

So there should not be anything to worry about

Dr Brims :

Are you able to see my replies?

Customer:

Yes that is good news. How do you think she would have gotten this infection? And after the antibiotics are done do you think I will be able to go back to letting her use bubble bath and regular soaps, etc.?

Dr Brims :

Staph is present on a lot of surfaces,so it may be due to porr hygiene, or just bad luck

Dr Brims :

Yes, she can use bubble baths and regular soaps after it is treated

Customer:

And one last question.. Is this infection related to MRSA? That is the only thing I can seem to find when I google it

Dr Brims :

MRSA is a type of staph bacteria, if it was not identified as MRSA then this is not related to it

Customer:

The culture just said "light growth of staphylococcus aureus"

Dr Brims :

Then it is not MRSA

Customer:

Okay well thank you very much for your help. It has cleared up a few things I was worried about. Thanks

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

I am happy I could help

Dr Brims :

Please let me know if you have any other questions on concerns on this topic

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session