Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

i have been taking extra synthroid to try and lose weight willit

Customer Question

i have been taking extra synthroid to try and lose weight willit help
Submitted: 4 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Taking extra synthroid will increase your metabolism and therefore it will help you lose weight

Dr Brims :

But it mat also cause an irregular heart beat as well as other side effects, so it is not advisable

Dr Brims :

Are you able to see my replies?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.
Were you able to see my replies in the chat session?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 4 years ago.
Synthroid is used by almost every body builder in the world as a contest prep in which they use it for 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. It is very effective at weight loss due to the increase metabolism. Thyroid hormones effect almost every cell in the body and can cause great short term weight loss but remember that the weight normally returns slowly after the synthroid is stopped. There are potential side effects just like any other drug being used for "off label" use. It is not approved by the fda for weight loss and if the dosage is not correct it can cause toxic effects and even death if huge amounts are taken.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 4 years ago.
Do you need additional information in order to accept my answer?