911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

itchy spot. Ive had a red - but not raised - itchy spot on

itchy spot. I've had a red - but not raised - itchy spot on my forehead for 2.5 months now. It's not always itchy. Just sometimes. The spot is oval shaped, a little smaller than a dime. I've itched it raw and bloody early on but it healed to look the exact same; deep pink/red oval with a slightly raised center at times, almost like a pin poked the skin but not as acute. I have cats; neither scratched me and they don't have fleas. It's winter where I am. Help, it's annoying.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

If the steroid did not work, and it would have worked by now, then this is likely fungal.

911Doctor :

It would be very reasonable to try an antifungal cream, and these can be bought over the counter at your local pharmacy. The pharmacist will definitely be able to help you find a good cream or ointment to help with, what is likely, a fungal infection.

911Doctor :

If you try this medicine, Clotrimazole would be a good example, and this does not help, you will need to see your doctor, as you might need a biopsy at that point.

911Doctor :

But since this came on rather quickly, and did not respond to steroids, it is very likely fungal. The name of the condition, if this is fungus, is 'tinea corporis'.

911Doctor :

And this is also sometimes called 'ringworm'.

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

if you have a question simply type it in the box below and click 'reply'

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

I do not see a response, I am going to switch this to Q and A. Please let me know if you have questions about my answer.

911Doctor :

If not, please remember, I am only reimbursed after you leave positive feedback.

911Doctor :

Thanks for your question.

911Doctor :

best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

911 Doctor - thank you for your information and advice. I'm going to try the anti-fungal if the steroids don't help w/in a few more days (it's not been two weeks yet).